Mean something (1 Viewer)

LiveForever28

HSC
I want a job that has meaning. I dont care about money. Ive had enough money in my life to know its just paper. Im studying to be a teacher cos i thought that would be something right. But with each passing lecture, and my teachers making it abundantly clear how rigid and structured the process is, im starting to wonder maybe i wont really be helping people at all.

Theres to much suffering in the world. Whats something i could do where id be happy to wake up the next day knowing that what i was doing was meaningful?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah I don't feel that way about teaching at all.

Next semester I'll be tutoring refugees as part of my degree. Awesome.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It depends what counts as meaningful to you. Possible choices:
-Doctor
-Tutor
-Artist
-Financial Advisor
-Counsellor
-Childcare
-Charity Officer

To really make a difference, you pretty much have to get into the community of what you are trying to fix. Usually this will mean you'll undertake many roles, and not be tied necessarily to one specific job description.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Feel free to send any excess "paper" my way.

Last edited:

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Teaching does have meaning, IMHO. Yes, it may not seem that way with all the theory and structure now (trust me, I feel the same way with psych!), but when you get out there and teach and potentially impact on childrens lives - that has meaning.

You may teach some ratbags of children, but there will be always those who appreciate what they are learning. Many students will see you as not just a teacher, but a confidant and mentor (of course, you have duty of care with them too). And many years after they graduate, they will all remember you, stop you in supermarkets and shops and thank you for teaching them and impacting on their lives.

(My mother is a teacher, and I've watched ex-students stop her in shops thanking her all my life. Then again, she works bloody hard for her kids and often prepares lessons, marks, etc til 2am.)

I believe you can impact on someone's life in any job. Anything can have meaning, it's just the degree of meaning which differs.

If you feel that you're losing your passion for teaching, why not explore what you're passionate about - you will find something with meaning there.

HSC
Uni Grad
I certainly agree the rigid and structured process quite daunting, though it hasn't put me off, not yet anyway.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Teaching is quite awesome, don't give up on it just yet. Maybe just wait til you get a chance to go on prac...I was having a bit of an omg I've wasted three years of my life moment last year and then we went on prac and it was fantastic and now I know I'm doing what I want to do with my life.

It's challenging for sure but in the best possible way.

I'm getting more and more over uni with every passing week so I kinda get where you're coming from with that. But trust me it will be worth it in the end.

If you really think you've chosen the wrong path though - you have to decide what you DO want and go after it, it's the only way to be content with your career imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)