me and my friend got the same ranking for english. is this possible? (1 Viewer)

iEdd

HSC
BOSBOY said:
That's really poor. If the top three exam marks are 98, 92, 89 then the three tied students all get an assessment mark of 93.
More like 98. They are all first, so they all should get the top exam mark as an assessment mark but won't. :(

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
iEdd said:
More like 98. They are all first, so they all get the top exam mark as an assessment mark.

No they don't. They get the average.

This is what happened with my equal firsts last year. They got the average of the top two exam marks not the top exam mark. They both had a moderated assessment of 89 while the top exam mark was 92 and the second exam mark was 86.

My school's BOSLO also said the same thing - that equal firsts get the average of the top exam marks.

If you think about it - if all students were going to get the top exam marks then schools would send in all students as equal first thus resulting in them all getting the top exam mark as their assessment mark.

iEdd

HSC
Wow, okay I guess I expected the system to be fairer than it is. That really really sucks then, if someone gets rounded up to be equal with you, dragging you down.

I understand that it would create the potential of schools to cheat the system, but I thought there would be a better system to combat that. Ah well, my ranks are absolute, fortunately.

I spose it makes sense though.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My students actually benefitted from the fact that another student actually got the 92, otherwise they would have been even lower.

The system is fair.

If three people are equal first and you give them all the same mark then you take marks out of the pool of marks for the class so other students will get lower marks.

runnable

HSC
The system is fair.

If you are good, you would'nt have ended up with an equal rank in the first place. If you are only as good as the other person, why should you get rewarded that much for your one hit wonder in the HSC exams?

iEdd

HSC
Yeah, I guess it is now I think about it. Remembering of course that the person that came first in the exam still keeps their own exam mark.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Yes, but that's obviously not the issue here.

You get marked on an ongoing basis, it has nothing to do with what teachers' believe at any given time outside of every single time they marked you.

They do not compare students and rank them in the manner you suggested (by comparing them), they simply give them marks for each assignment. If, at the end, the marks are equal, then you have the same rank. End of story.
Each assessment is a factor that determines the ultimate rank of a student. Teacher can try to ensure that ranks are not clustered by setting higher standards in the marking criteria if they believe the quality of the class on that particular assignment is high.

Um, you can't have a large spread in ranks.
By that I mean by ensuring marks of not alike in each assement, so equal ranks are less likely to occur in the end. And I also believe the difference of each rank is also taken into consideration.

Paj20

HSC
Scissors said:
i just asked a friend what he got for english, and his rank was the same as mine. should i call the school and ask them wtf is up?

You never knew you could have the same ranks lol?

iEdd

HSC
It's not surprising, there are so many misconceptions spread around by teachers that it's all pretty much misunderstood.

HSC
yeah, i tied in two subjects, english and bio. for bio they separated us, for english they just left it the same. i asked my teacher why they didn't separate us, he says it's basically impossible so they just send in the ranks as equal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)