Maxine McKew for Bennelong (1 Viewer)

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
Yes, that is what is considered Lower North Shore.

Also, in the traditional sense, Wikipedia is wrong. Extending the lower North Shore all the way out to Denistone really doesn't make sense.

But back to Maxine boys?
Maybe if your tradition dictates that the North Shore consists of Gordon, Gordon and only Gordon lol

As for Maxine? Nah still no chance, I actually think that there will be a swing towards Howard a little.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
Is Mosman North Shore? That's where Maxine lives. What about McMahons Point?
Yes but as you can clearly see by relations between me, Tulipa and inner child, we all hate eachother.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
bshoc said:
Maybe if your tradition dictates that the North Shore consists of Gordon, Gordon and only Gordon lol

As for Maxine? Nah still no chance, I actually think that there will be a swing towards Howard a little.
You think that there will be a backlash against her or more just in favour of him?

(also, more traditionally, the north shore extends from Mosman up to around Pymble, not going too far east or west).

EDIT: Erm, sorry you hate me but I'm not at that particular extreme.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
You think that there will be a backlash against her or more just in favour of him?
A small part of that backlash will be against her, and I feel that some people would want to give Johnny a good send off, seeing as how we all pretty much know that his next term will most likely be his last, he has been a good rep. for Bennelong aside from his other duties.

(also, more traditionally, the north shore extends from Mosman up to around Pymble, not going too far east or west).
Thats way too narrow, the eastern part of Bennelong pretty much makes it into North Shore by elimination, since its neither West, Northern Beaches or Hills Districts.

EDIT: Erm, sorry you hate me but I'm not at that particular extreme.
Hey remember how in year 12 english we learned all sorts of cool things like satirical devices?

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
bshoc said:
Eastwood and Ryde have been Bennelong for decades, that and the whole southern and most of the eastern sections of Bennelong are pretty Liberal, adding Melrose Park isnt going to take much out of East Ryde, Tennyson, Marsfield, Gladesville, Putney and Baronia Park.
Eastwood, Epping and Carlo were in the electorate of Dundas before 1993 (held by Philip Ruddock) and Lane Cove and Hunters Hill LGAs are now completely in North Sydney.

here is the map (new of 2007)

http://www.aec.gov.au/_content/Who/profiles/b/bennelong.pdf

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
PM not worried about Labor gains in Bennelong

Prime Minister John Howard has shrugged off strong results for Labor in two NSW state seats within his federal electorate, saying they would have no bearing on his bid for re-election.

A Morgan poll indicated Mr Howard would have lost his federal seat of Bennelong to high-profile Labor candidate Maxine McKew if an election had been held in February.

His tenuous hold on the electorate was made to look even shakier when the seats of Ryde and Parramatta were comfortably won by Labor in yesterday's NSW election.

But, while Ryde and Parramatta make up significant chunks of Bennelong, the seats of Epping and Lane Cove were easily won by the Liberal Party.

Other fringe seats, Baulkham Hills and Castle Hill, also were held by the Liberals.

Mr Howard said if the results from Ryde in the 2003 state election were translated into Bennelong at the federal poll the following year, he would have lost.

"If I was to put the Ryde figures of 2003 into Bennelong 2004, I don't think I'd be talking to you now. That's been the case for a long time,'' he told reporters today.

"I always have to work hard in Bennelong. I treat Bennelong as it is, and that is a marginal seat. I do not take it for granted.

"I try and actively service in a personal way the people of Bennelong and I'll keep on doing that and I hope I win.

"I don't take anything for granted, when you've got a margin of four per cent you can't afford to."

In the 2004 federal election, Howard clung to the north-western Sydney seat by a narrow four per cent margin after the vote went to preferences.

A redistribution last year taking in suburbs further to the west will make the seat even tougher for Mr Howard, who has held Bennelong since 1974.

The Morgan poll in February found Mr Howard would have lost the seat had an election been held at the time, with 55 per cent of the 400 voters polled supporting Labor on a two-party preferred basis.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
I dont think Maxine would stand a chance.

Though wouldnt be surprised if Howard retired any time soon, in that case she will win easily.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
HotShot said:
I dont think Maxine would stand a chance.

Though wouldnt be surprised if Howard retired any time soon, in that case she will win easily.
Howard will win Bennelong, but when he retires and a by-election is held, McKew could take the seat for Labor.

However, I think for however long Howard wants to remain in parliament, Bennelong will be his.

Edit: I found out how to spell Bennelong.

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
what exactly would happen to the coalition if maxine won the electorate?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
John howard would no longer have his seat, the coalition would need to pick another prime minister (if they win) or opposition leader (which would happen anyway, if they lose).

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Couldn't they just shove him into another electorate via a by-election?
Yeah, I think he could hypothetically use the party system to knock off a Lib MP and appoint himself in his/her place.
Even though the state govt could hypothetically refuse his application and appoint a Labor member (like Jon & Whitlam, or as was suggested re Beatie and Santos).

Anyway, it's a win-win for Maxine. She'll likely lose, but Howard wont stay on long after the victory, where she'll easily win the by-election (Howard's status is the only thing keeping him afloat in Bennelong). At any rate, it forces Howard to pour time in Bennelong, to the neglect of other marginals.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Iron said:
At any rate, it forces Howard to pour time in Bennelong, to the neglect of other marginals.
I think that's overstated. What the media doesn't report is that Howard already does and consistently has, poured enormous amounts of effort into his electorate. This election will be no different.

Sure, McKew will run a local campaign, but that doesn't compare to the influence and power that comes with having your local MP as Prime Minister.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
But the seat's never been this tight for him. I actually think the status idea is the overstated one. I mean, most people rock up to vote literally thinking that they are voting for the leaders anyway.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Iron said:
But the seat's never been this tight for him. I actually think the status idea is the overstated one. I mean, most people rock up to vote literally thinking that they are voting for the leaders anyway.
Yes. Those people then scan the ballot paper, see Howard's name but not Rudd's, ask who this McKew imposter is and then end up ticking the box for the Christian Democrats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)