mature aged students (1 Viewer)

boringhousewife

HSC
I started year 11 last year at my local high school.
In 3 weeks I turn 43.
I've done the HSC before (1979) but I want to do forensic science, and I haven't studied for a long, long time and need the practise.
Any other oldies out there?

eternity_

boringhousewife said:
In 3 weeks I turn 43.
I've done the HSC before (1979) but I want to do forensic science, and I haven't studied for a long, long time and need the practise.
u can do that? i feel its unfair to other students who are competing against u.. considering u have done the hsc b4..

GirlGoneMad

Kitten Kong
HSC
anyone is allowed to repeat the HSC if they want to. Quite a few people do it so that they can get better marks.

boringhousewife

HSC
eternity_ said:
u can do that? i feel its unfair to other students who are competing against u.. considering u have done the hsc b4..
Not really. I have to work as hard as the others do. and I don't have the same time either. I have 5 kids, so my time is not my own.
And having done it before...well it was 26 years ago.
If I was some kind of genius I would've gone straight to uni :)

69^boi

HSC
N/A
boringhousewife said:
Not really. I have to work as hard as the others do. and I don't have the same time either. I have 5 kids, so my time is not my own.
yea i totally agree, the hsc back in 1970s is a totally different system now so there is no advantage. But saying that this sounds like a challenge for a super mum , good luck aye =D

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
the best of luck to you.

but something tells me you should have waited until one of you kids did the hsc and then you do the hsc in the same year. it would bring some fighting spirit. * taps side of nose*

eternity_

boringhousewife said:
woah.. goodluck to u.. wouldnt it feel awkward tho.. being so old and all.. hanging around guys/girls that are so much younger.. them talking bout their 'first kiss' or 'first headjob'.. and u talking bout your kids or sth :p

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
wow that takes a lot of guts good luck to you!
/salute

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
id say thats pretti good.. :)
lots of mature aged students at uni.. reckon ud feel better after HSC..
a lady in melb uni just gradded at 70-sumfing... with her bacholers.. so ure not that old ;)

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
This is the craziest thing ive seen.
So ur like a mom doing high school :eek:
Its hard to imagine my mum being at my school.

Do the students there accepts you?

But it would be cool youd have ur own car and you can buy them drinks legally :D

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I know a 'mature aged' person that did her HSC (albeit when I was like 12)...she was 26 (I think) at the time
But, I know a lot of mature agies at uni, and I can't say I'm one bit envious of them.

A

assman

eternity_ said:
woah.. goodluck to u.. wouldnt it feel awkward tho.. being so old and all.. hanging around guys/girls that are so much younger.. them talking bout their 'first kiss' or 'first headjob'.. and u talking bout your kids or sth :p

have u thoguht about doing it any where else? does tafe do this sort of thing?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
boringhousewife said:
In 3 weeks I turn 43.
Good on you! While you're unlikely to find any other oldies on this particular forum, besides lurking teachers, know you're not the oldest, with a guy who was either in his 80's or 90's completing the HSC back in 1995, with other mature age students having done so since.

You have every right to repeat the HSC. What subjects are you doing?

Anyway, congratulations. It is daunting enough for people of my age to do the HSC, but I imagine that feeling would rise several orders of magnitude in intensity for someone your age. It's good to see people renewing their knowledge and still doing further things with their life, though. I'd imagine once most people settle down and start a family, get a job, the general consensus would be "that's that" - which is unfortunate.

What are your reasons, BTW? Just a general interest in forensic science? Or did you never have a paying job and would like one?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
You're no where near the only one, there were 5 in my class at your age not to mention all the TPC students. One question though wouldn't it be more prudent to do the TPC if you have kids? As they r much more flexible with their arrangements in that course

boringhousewife

HSC
I'm doing it at the high school because I still have kids in primary and I need to be there before and after school for them.
This year, my 17yo has decided he's going back to do year 11, my 12 yo starts year 7...so there'll be the three of us!
I get on well with the other students. it was awkward at first, but now I'm just one of them. they talk about all sorts of stuff as if I wasn't even there.
Right from the start, I made it clear that at school, I'm a student, not a mother. If I see and hear stuff (and I DO!) they know its not going to get back to their parents (a lot of whom I know).
I'm really pleased with how its all worked out. Mind you, this break hasn't been much of a holiday. I've had a shitload of work to do...we have a chem assessment first week back and we have to read Emma (I cannot stand Austen).
I'm doing advanced english, maths (not the easy one but not the hard one), bio, chem, modern history, ancient history and this year, extension history.
All so I can poke at dead bodies :p
Well even if there are no other oldies here, I'll come and talk about studies and stuff.

jitterbug

HSC
Ok, really stupid random question but it just popped into my head...
Do you have to wear a uniform?

Sorry...

boringhousewife

HSC
Yes I have to wear uniform. which luckily is just navy slacks and a polo shirt.
My daughter started year 7 today and my son starts year 11 on Wednesday.
Family affair at this school :)

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
goodluck yeah... good on yah.. go for it .. I wouldnt be able to go back to do the HSC when Im 43... goodluck Thumbs up :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)