Matrix,Prior,Alpha Omega,TIPPS,Compass,James Ann,Pre Uni,Talent100,Private,Other (1 Viewer)

Miss Code

HSC
I dont think so, many people who excel generally self study. It all comes down to the amount of effort you are willing to put in. For example, if you get tutored but dont listen or apply what you have learnt, whats the point of being tutored? On the other hand people can do self study and get top results. It depends on the way you learn really. Everyone is different :)
Tutoring isnt something to be ashamed of, Their there to help you if you want to excel, i doubt anyone gets through the WHOLE HSC without going outside their time and asking a question or something, thats me personally, even the smartest kids in my school still need a little help.

Oh but ur year 11 so you really dont know then, see when ur in year 12 how much the workload is. :)

mrcalkin

Banned
HSC
Tutoring isnt something to be ashamed of, Their there to help you if you want to excel, i doubt anyone gets through the WHOLE HSC without going outside their time and asking a question or something, thats me personally, even the smartest kids in my school still need a little help.

Oh but ur year 11 so you really dont know then, see when ur in year 12 how much the workload is. :)
i go alpha omega, alright, only do the extension 1 course 50$ per lesson ( 2hours) hasnt really helped me yet as school topics and there's not the same. have 7 people in my class

sinophile

HSC
N/A
dunno whats the deal with asians and tutoring. i see half of them getting DRAGGED DOWN by tutoring because they have extra commitments and that detracts from their work. still, i think theres arguments for tutoring. you need a good teacher to instruct you on correct 'form', and if you go to a pblic school like me youll have lots of crap, demoralised teachers. plus it gives you more people to compare yourself to- if you're in a bad school you wont know how bad you are in relation to the state. a tutor class and its students gives you a broader horizon.

but its mindboggling how some people can waste so much of their parents money and not learn from tutoring. such a shame.

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
dunno whats the deal with asians and tutoring. i see half of them getting DRAGGED DOWN by tutoring because they have extra commitments and that detracts from their work. still, i think theres arguments for tutoring. you need a good teacher to instruct you on correct 'form', and if you go to a pblic school like me youll have lots of crap, demoralised teachers. plus it gives you more people to compare yourself to- if you're in a bad school you wont know how bad you are in relation to the state. a tutor class and its students gives you a broader horizon.

but its mindboggling how some people can waste so much of their parents money and not learn from tutoring. such a shame.
True. And then they blame that its their tutor's fault they did bad.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Not necessarily. Tutoring is quite useful depending on the circumstances. But relying on one is extremely stupid. I got tutoring for maths for like few weeks but quit in Year 10. However, from those tutoring centres, I learnt valuable lessons as to how to study on my own. I never got tutoring since Year 11 really but still did quite well through self-study.

So I reckon tutoring is useful only if you can learn lots of stuff from them so that you can later apply them through your self-study (which I am doing now)..
Yes I agree with you, I tried tutoring back in year 9, I found it very... boring and not helpful at all, dropped it, and have not been back since :D ... Self study is proving to be very good, also what I wrote was pretty much my opinion.. as to the part where I said people can get high results with Self study I was talking about you :D

You are my hero! :headbang:

nothing gets past you does it sherlock =]
lol sorry... I didnt mean anything bad,

Oh but ur year 11 so you really dont know then, see when ur in year 12 how much the workload is.
Nah i'm not ashamed of tutoring, i've had tutoring before, just like said before, found it very useless... If I need help, I usually ask my teachers within class or during my study periods. But i'll see how I go, the only trouble is to get to a good tutor I would need to travel a lot, which seems like a little bit of a time waste so I'm trying my best to self study :)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

+1 100% agreed

But sometimes, the tutors are hmm... crap? lol Depends who you get tutoring from and how much you take in

Miss Code

HSC
The thing is my tutor is actually the teacher and all we do is go through the stuff that wasnt understood in the class that fortnight or things were having troubles with, shes also my year 12 mentor so she helps with other questions i may have. I personally wouldnt go to someone i didnt know, because im shy and i like communication with people who know what is actually going on. Thats why i like the way the teachers help as they know whats going on in that class

rm93

HSC
N/A
i dont get tutored and i dont go selective and im doing good so far. just need to study more

id only get a tutor if i was struggling.

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
i go to a public selective, and its amazing the lack of care/effort that some of the teachers display. about 90% would never consider aiding a student in any way unless their pay guidelines directly required them to.
i go to a selective school, and many of our teachers gladly give up their time (afterschool, early mornings, recess AND lunches) just to help us out.

Scinery

HSC
Obviously tutoring isnt Neccessary for good marks, thats obvious...
and Obviously everyone should be able to self-study and ask your teacher for help if you need it because it's more effective

but those withOut self-discipline, like myself, neeeeeeeeeeeed tutoring at least to guilt me into studying because i paid for it. I ask school teachers questions often but sometimes they do just get angry and say they have to go.

however, those With self discipline can only get More out of tutoring. its an advantage on top of an advantage.

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
I wouldn't need tutoring if I had competent teachers

Heartless

HSC
I know some students that tend to rely on tutoring and completely neglect their schoolwork. Some of my friends go to Dr. Du for Maths tutoring, but when the school sets maths homework, they never bother completing it.

The people that take both tutoring and school seriously perform better. Otherwise, tutoring's just a waste of time and money.

EDIT: Yeah, tutoring's beneficial for students that have whacked up teachers for subjects. :|

asdfpoiu

HSC
haha well personally I've found tutoring useful.. although it does really depend where you go (yes, North Shore is a craphouse)

Heartless said:
The people that take both tutoring and school seriously perform better. Otherwise, tutoring's just a waste of time and money.
It really depends on the person... quite a few people who are at the top in my school don't take any tutoring.. it just really depends on motivation cuz I'm pretty sure they study ahead.. but just by themselves

Tutoring just forces us lazy ones to do work

btw... maybe those friends would've neglected hw anyway.. i know i do.. besides, hw is quite pointless if they are already good with the topic

Deathless

HSC
The one I like most:

Self study - saves money, travel time, the thought about going anywhere or someone coming over plus if you do it properly its more effective :)

Back on topic: sorry no idea... dont get tutored, hopefully i wont either, i'm trying my best to self study :)
Yea but self study only works in topics that exclude any form of Maths or formulae i.e. Maths, Chemistry and Physics.

But on self study, I know someone in my school who is topping every subject he does and he don't go tutoring (the subjects aren't mathsy or sciencey though)

s11gib

HSC
Prior? Matrix? Talent 100?

Hi everyone
(I'm not sure if I posted this in the right place, please correct me if this thread should be anywhere else.)

I'm considering going to Prior, Matrix or Talent 100.
(I go for Maths and English private) but I was thinking to change my tutoring learning system.

Anyone been to any of these three?
What type of homework do they give?
What type of work do you do in class?
How much does it cost per lesson?
What are the durations of the lesson?

Most important question of all.... "which is the best out of the three?"

Any useful information will be great.
Thanks in advance.

wonderhero2

HSC
Re: Prior? Matrix? Talent 100?

Matrix is good cuz they make their own booklets and the booklets are made by pro's in each subject (most of the teachers are like doctors and/or have a PHD in their subject)
you only pay $45/per 1 hour and the classes go for 1.5 hour but only maths go on for 3 hours. the teachers are really friendly and you there are students there all the time to help you with any subject you want.
:cool:

haven't been too the others so can't really comment on them.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I wouldn't need tutoring if I had competent teachers
nah, you wouldn't need it if YOU were competent
If someone thinks they can get through the HSC without any extra help they are crazy! I get tutoring for Business Studies by the teacher on our friday off for an hour she gives her time to help us. Such a nice lady :)
hahaha , no they're just not retarded. the hsc course is able to be self taught easily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)