Matrix,Prior,Alpha Omega,TIPPS,Compass,James Ann,Pre Uni,Talent100,Private,Other (1 Viewer)

Enigmanation

HSC
Yea but self study only works in topics that exclude any form of Maths or formulae i.e. Maths, Chemistry and Physics.

But on self study, I know someone in my school who is topping every subject he does and he don't go tutoring (the subjects aren't mathsy or sciencey though)
Thats a pretty subjective view, of course you can self study for maths/science subjects. I cant tell you how many people i know that dont need tutoring at all for maths and purely go because 1. Their parents force them into it, or 2. They've just been brainwashed into believing that one cannot get through the hsc without some form of tutoring.

Honestly, if you're even semi-competent at a subject, motivated self-study will get you a lot further than the complacency of outside tutoring. It'll save you a few thousand dollars in the long run as well.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Yea but self study only works in topics that exclude any form of Maths or formulae i.e. Maths, Chemistry and Physics.

But on self study, I know someone in my school who is topping every subject he does and he don't go tutoring (the subjects aren't mathsy or sciencey though)
i self taught all of physics in hsc and uni

what now?

Amogh

HSC
N/A
I highly, highly doubt the HSC is designed to require these "resources". Instead, as a result of a bunch of mostly slackers doing poorly in the HSC, such institues arised, funded more over by a will to succeed without needing to put in the effort. I am being very general here, but the HSC, in my opinion, is most likely designed so any self motivated hard working student can do well, regardless of any tutoring. Just think when you get to Uni, there won't be nearly as much help like this.
So true. The 'slackers' believe that they can buy a high ATAR through tutoring, which evidently isnt the case.

But this isnt always the reason tutoring is thriving. Someone might just need extra support in achieving their potential, hence tutoring seems the only answer.

_tsubi_

HSC
i only started tutoring this year because i started phys chem and 3 unit maths and i was freaking out! so far i only get tutored in phys and maths but i think next year i might pick up english as well and maybe chem, although its pretty easy at the moment.
i go to matrix and i dont think its too expensive, considering you get your classes, workbooks, homework books, free workshops for extra help and free stationary ;) i have so many matrix pens! lol
the teachers are the best though, they always have time for you and if not they let you email them questions :) they make my school teachers look crap and i go to a private school.
i say the money that you save by going to a public school you should spend on tutoring because its so much better. and you'll probably have some money left over from that too.

does anyone know if chem gets really hard in year 12? i heard it totally craps all over year 11 but its my favourite! and also, does anyone have any suggestions about what type of science degree is the most interesting/most reputable? i like science but i dont know which area to go in.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
CS Education in Castle Hill is superb for Years 11-12 for Extension 1 and 2 Maths, Physics and Chemistry although Year 10 and below is not that good and English is average.

Private is especially good for maths, but for other subjects I've always appreciated a group environment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)