maths (1 Viewer)

werh23509

HSC
first log in since last year when results were released :)

Anyway, just wondering for everyone doing a maths out there: beginner, intermediate or advanced, how are you finding it? are the lectures/pracs/tutorials helpful?

I personally think pracs are a waste of time and most of the time i don't understand what the lecturer is talking about.

I'm doing the advanced stream and don't understand half of what is going on. I was thinking of getting a tutor but i know it will cost around $50 or more per hr. does anyone think it is worth it?

hsc=suicide

HSC
werh23509 said:
first log in since last year when results were released :)

Anyway, just wondering for everyone doing a maths out there: beginner, intermediate or advanced, how are you finding it? are the lectures/pracs/tutorials helpful?

I personally think pracs are a waste of time and most of the time i don't understand what the lecturer is talking about.

I'm doing the advanced stream and don't understand half of what is going on. I was thinking of getting a tutor but i know it will cost around $50 or more per hr. does anyone think it is worth it?
dude why dont you just drop back into the normal stream? the course content is less, whilst convering the same areas. its fairly easy, as i did 4 unit, however fucking assumed knowledge of vectors is shitting me.

meew

HSC
im doing advanced, and finding it VERRYR hard. i think i would do ok if i studied.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
There are consultation hours during which you can receive one on one help from a duty tutor or a lecturer. You could try those out to see if they're any good for you, it doesn't cost any money. IMO it's not worth getting a private tutor for uni subjects.

The point is with maths in general is that you need to gain an understanding of the material. If you put the time into understanding the material, rather than just attempting to develop blind familiarity with the topics, then when you come to do the questions they shouldn't be too difficult.

Provided that you have a decent amount of aptitude when it comes to maths, if you put in the time to study the material then you will more than likely do well. Just hand in there.

HSC
wtf are maths "pracs"

oh, and i do the advanced part as well. its not too bad although im sure its not that hard compared to advanced at other unis...

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
The pracs they were referring to are classes where basically a set of problems is put up on the board, overhead projector or whatever and people work through questions during the class. There are people there to help students who get stuck on problems.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
nsw unis are mad cheap and cram 500 people in tutes and cbf having pracs for first year units. go go usyd

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Lol 500 people in a tute, sounds like engineering.:D

Actually it's not that bad, only around 50 people per tute heh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)