Maths/University/Software Engineer dilemma (1 Viewer)

Drop 2U or nah?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • There's no wrong or right answer

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

Dean S

HSC
I'm currently in year 11 and wondering if I could just drop down to General Maths from 2U Maths and just do a Maths course in Uni and still be able to do Software Engineering? Or is 2U Maths a must?

2U isn't hard, but I'm afraid of failing. Because I KNOW that I'll excell in General Maths, due to it being very trivial. So getting a better ATAR will get me into a better University, right?

I'm weighing my options at the moment, please share your opinions!

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
imo, don't drop 2U is good for engo and you would just be creating more work for yourself later on

Dean S

HSC
Keep 12 units and keep 2 unit mathematics.
Couldn't I drop 2U and just do a maths course in Uni? As I am afraid of failing, so isn't this a safer option to get into the Uni I want, because I'll get a high mark in General Maths.

Flop21

HSC
Couldn't I drop 2U and just do a maths course in Uni? As I am afraid of failing, so isn't this a safer option to get into the Uni I want, because I'll get a high mark in General Maths.
If you can't do HSC 2u maths, then you won't be able to do university maths for software engineering. Most software engineering courses require 3u maths at least.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Potentially it could delay your degree progression,and doing a bridging course is done at an extremely fast pace.

If you have 12 units, only the best 10 are counted so technically it doesn't matter if you ''fail'' mathematics,as long as you perform well in your other subjects.

Dean S

HSC
If you can't do HSC 2u maths, then you won't be able to do university maths for software engineering. Most software engineering courses require 3u maths at least.
I never said I couldn't do it, it's just afraid of failing.

Silly Sausage

HSC
If you like things being 'trival' then boy you sure are gonna enjoy engineering.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm currently in year 11 and wondering if I could just drop down to General Maths from 2U Maths and just do a Maths course in Uni and still be able to do Software Engineering? Or is 2U Maths a must?

2U isn't hard, but I'm afraid of failing. Because I KNOW that I'll excell in General Maths, due to it being very trivial. So getting a better ATAR will get me into a better University, right?

I'm weighing my options at the moment, please share your opinions!
Your plan seems very good

unfortunately it falls over - and i mean falls over bad on one thing:

Mathematics is a hierarchical subject

simply put, you need year 4 maths to do year 5 maths, which you need to do year 6 maths, which is built on in year 7 maths, which year 8 maths will draw upon, and then year 9 maths will expand further on that, etc.

Dropping to General means you'll skip maths that will be built upon at university level and if you have zero to build on - then prepare to see "FL" on your transcript

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
doing gen maths may benefit you in the short term but will definitely screw you over in the long term aka fail uni cuz you didn't do mafs when you were supposed to

Dean S

HSC
doing gen maths may benefit you in the short term but will definitely screw you over in the long term aka fail uni cuz you didn't do mafs when you were supposed to
What if I do a Mathematics Summer Course at University? Or whatever it's called.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What if I do a Mathematics Summer Course at University? Or whatever it's called.
so you're going to pay extra money

to do something that you can do right now for free or at no extra cost

Flop21

HSC
Bridging course only lasts for around 2wks? Are you saying that you can master a 2 yr course in 2 wks?
Sorry, slightly off topic, but do you think I could handle learning the 3u course over the holidays before uni? I will be doing a bridging course on top of that as well.

Sien

HSC
Sorry, slightly off topic, but do you think I could handle learning the 3u course over the holidays before uni? I will be doing a bridging course on top of that as well.
Yea why not, you got like 4 months to focus purely on maths

Silly Sausage

HSC
Most of the stuff they cover for "3U" bridging courses is 2U a-lot of the times. For normal first year mathematics a solid grounding in 2U maths is sufficient. Most of the times the lecturers and tutors will go over the 3U stuff before teaching new stuff that assumes 3U maths. Be wary however, as they tend to spend VERY little time on each topic.

You most likely won't encounter most of the subjects in 3U anyway. e.g. circle geometry, induction (unless you do discrete mathematics). But things like further trig identities, integration by substitution would be useful.

Last edited:

Sien

HSC
Going on a slight tangent, how much hsc physics is actually needed computer related engo? I didn't do physics and may have screw myself over BAD

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Silly Sausage

HSC
They usually start off with some very basic set theory we're you'll eventually bump into complex numbers (easiest topic in 4U, completely doable with 2U knowledge) and after that it'll just start off from where you left 2U maths in high-school.

As for physics, HSC mathematics would be more useful since uni physics is all calculations and stuff unlike high-school physics. If you do software-engineering you'll just need one-semester of physics usually (kinematics, mechanics, waves, thermo-physics and maybe optics). If you do computer engineering within electrical engineering then you'll possibility be doing physics up to third year mainly consisting of electromagnetism with a pinch of quantum mechanics in first and maybe second year.

the_matrix

HSC
I aspire to study software engineering as well and I really want to drop 3U (I'm scientifically minded by not in the field of Mathematics lol), but I'm not going to because I know I'll need it in uni. Just keep persisting (study, revise, practise) and you'll be fine in 2U.

I quote my teacher's opinion on bridging courses:
"How is a 2 week bridging course going to teach you everything that's supposed to be taught in 2 years?"
Bridging courses are just revision courses imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)