Maths test on first day (1 Viewer)

pickle2005

HSC
Hey, im starting B Maths & Finance this year and i heard for maths related degrees you have to sit a maths test on the first day to see what level ur at.

I heard you dont need to study, but would someone whos done it be able to tell me what kinds of things are in the test, out of interest. And is it hard?

Spanks

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Short answer: Don't worry about it

Long answer: you probably won't even have to sit a test as lecturers are lazy

EDIT: I did 187/188 and no test for me. I don't think there was any for 141/142 either.

Last edited:

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
Don't worry about it, that's just the Basic Skills Test. When I did it, it was pretty easy. If anything, it gauges the Mathematical knowledge of the class as a whole. Both MATH187 and MATH141 have to do the test in the first lecture.

Straight from the Subject Handbook:
Generic Extra Information
Assumed knowledge: HSC Mathematics Ext 1. Basic Skills Test: It is imperative that you attend the first lecture in the subject. At that lecture, you will be required to sit a Basic Skills Test. While your mark in this test is not part of the assessment for the subject, the test is compulsory. If you think your basic mathematical skills are weak, then you should do some revision in preparation.

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
I should also add that there is a follow-up Basic Skills Test sometime around Week 5 to see how the class has improved. Once again, they do not make up any assessment component.

(Oh and go the Shire...)

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
If I remember correctly, it was just basic functions (know all your equality/inequality range symbols), integration/differentiation oh and go over your log laws. It's really simple.

DeanM

HSC
that sounds alright, i might go over my HSC maths notes, just to refresh my memory alittle...

Scanorama

HSC
DeanM said:
that sounds alright, i might go over my HSC maths notes, just to refresh my memory alittle...
lol don't worry about the test, if it isn't an assessment task, then it isn't a test, it won't count into your final marks. Sit back and relax before all the assignments start kicking in.

DeanM

HSC
Scanorama said:
lol don't worry about the test, if it isn't an assessment task, then it isn't a test, it won't count into your final marks. Sit back and relax before all the assignments start kicking in.
so pretty much at uni, if something doesnt go towards ur final marks, then dont even try? gotchya thanks :)

Scanorama

HSC
DeanM said:
so pretty much at uni, if something doesnt go towards ur final marks, then dont even try? gotchya thanks :)
Thats right, one of the survival skills at uni, if something doesn't count towards the final mark, don't bother.

Last edited:

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Scanorama said:
Thats right, one of the survival skills at uni, if something doesn't count towards the final mark, don't bother.
I put in extra effort all the time at uni but... :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)