Maths subjects (1 Viewer)

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
Maths subjects and just general help

I'm doing commerce/law this year and I'm leaning towards the finance + law area rather than economics + law.

I did 4 unit maths for the HSC, but I want to transfer so for the health of my GPA would it be best to do the easiest maths I can? Would this be true for all subjects? I want to transfer.

I have to do maths 123 - 136. 123 appears to be the most relevant, more-so than 130 anyhow.

Also, as I chose to do straight commerce/law, it's a little confusing. I can either do finance + law or economics + law (both UAC code 300307, which is "commerce/law"). There are a lot more core subjects in the finance + law option (p313 of the undergraduate handbook) compared to the ecos option (p281). However, the ecos option has as its major "economics + law" whereas the finance one has only "finance". Please help! It's so unclear!

I took a look at the Business Administration/Law subjects and they look a lot more interesting to me. I didn't put it down as a preference because I didn't really know what it was beforehand, until I got the undergraduate handbook. I got a UAI of 97.40 so do you think they would be flexible enough to let me change the non-law part to bus admin, seeing as I already have a place in a combined law degree? If I did this I wouldn't transfer.

Oh by the way, if we transfer to another uni after first year do we pay the higher HECS charges?

Sorry I got a bit off-topic.

Last edited:

orangeguy

HSC
N/A
Firstly, If you change to a different course next year then you will pay the higher 2005 HECS.

Secondly, there is a policy at Macquarie where within the first semester you can change your degree to another one where you meet the cut-off requirements. But please check this with the staff at Macquarie.

Thridly, if you were to do a MATH subject, you would have to at least start off with MATH135 or MATH132, as the lower levels of MATH (MATH123, MATH130) do not let people who have done 4-unit maths to do it.

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
ah crap (about the maths thing). I got 83 in 4 unit, it was my lowest mark, so it wasn't like I actually knew what I was doing. it's not fair to those of us who did crap in higher-level hsc maths! (with scaling, 83 isn't very good)

ah well no use bitching about it now.

thanks for the info orangeguy, i'll ring them tomorrow. :)

Out of maths 132, 133, 135 and 136, which is the easiest? I get the impression a lower number does not necessarily mean easier.. :-/

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
i rang them up and this person said i couldn't change to BBA LLB now and that I had to wait until after the first semester

I can't chose all subjects in 1st semester which are in the BBA LLB so I'm going to lose time.

macq flexible MY ARSE!!!!!!

sorry just a little frustrated

Just looking at the BBA LLB timetable possibilities, as it is combined with law, the lack of flexibility in the law lectures results in students getting raped between 4pm and 8pm on mondays in semester 2: 4 hours of BBA lectures in a row. That is if you want to do both BBA102 and BBA111 in first year.

Last edited:

doe

HSC
N/A
hoho! welcome to macq.

be wary of the student enquiry service too, once they gave me some info that was so wrong i nearly missed out on a years enrollment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)