Maths Scaling (1 Viewer)

***Steph***

HSC
Hi,
At the moment the subjects I'm doing are; English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Drama, Legal, Modern History, Studies of Religion (1 unit), and Mathematics. I'm thinking about dropping back to General Maths. When I leave school I don't want to do anything that involves lots of maths, so I don't need Mathematics in that respect but for my UAI I'm not sure. I know Mathematics scales better, but I've been told that a decent mark in Mathematics and a really good mark in General contribute to your UAI the same. I want to do General if that's true because then I could work hard and consistently, and spend more time on other subjects without the stress of Mathematics. What do you guys think?

HSC
Find out what you want to do after school. I take it that you want to do university. Find out the course(s) you would like to do, and see what their "assumed knowledge" and "required knowledge" is. Most courses will say, English and Math, some of the science type courses require one of the science subjects, other courses might not require much more then english.

From there, determine whether or not having math or general math is best. I wouldn't recommend dropping math all together, even if you don't need it for the course you wish to do, because you only have 13 units, and being that you're doing english extention 2, it isn't something you can just put your uai on because it's a pretty demanding subject.

Hope i've helped.

walgett

HSC
hey there, about doing general maths. a guy that finished last year did it, and went really well. he ended up getting better UAIs than almost half the guys that did three unit maths
so really if you can do well in general without doing the work then do it and put more effort into the 4U english....

HSC
keep maths
for general maths to contribute significantly to your UAI youll need at least 85+, and keep in mind that <5% of the state get a band 6, so its hard to do.
Maths isnt that hard, just work on the concepts, do practice questions and youll be fine. Maths does scale a lot better.
EX2 requires a lot of effort yes, but only for 1 unit. Youll find that you are better off putting that effort into maths and getting 2 units scaled well up.
EX2 is subjective so you can put heaps of effort in and it might not be marked as well as you like.
My opinion is that you should not take the easy way out and do gen maths, especially if you go to a good school, and focus on the basic subjects like maths and not the appealing ones like EX2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)