Maths required for finance? (1 Viewer)

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone that is currently studying senior finance units/has completed a finance major could tell me what kind of maths I should focus on (or not study) if I haven't completed yr11/12 mathematics. I'm asking this because of 4 reasons:

1. There appears to be a lot of 'filler' topics in year 11/12 such as trig, circle geometry(?) etc. that I think might not be directly applicable to finance
2. I only completed general maths in year 12 - in my view general maths doesn't go past year 10 except small topics such as annuities.
3. I want to have a conceptual understanding of finance (and the mathematics behind it), rather than rote learn a few formulas and plug them into a calculator.
4. I don't want my WAM to be screwed because of finance.. I hear Corporate Finance II has a 30% fail rate.

Additionally, if anyone could be so kind: what background maths topics are assumed knowledge for learning stochastic processes and differential equations? << these appear to be in some 3rd year finance units.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
You'll need at the very least an understanding of probability theory and differential calculus. It is suggested that you take a bridging course.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Stochastic Processes are quite difficult, you would need an understanding of probability, sets, markov chains, perhaps matrix notation, calculus, polynomials etc...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)