Maths question! (1 Viewer)

jet

Banned
HSC
I did it. Got an equation in sin(x) and x. I cbb with approximating at that point in time, so I left it there :p

I will post my solution later, let me just work it out again :)

EDIT: Because this problem is extremely difficult, though not unrelated to the HSC, I'm moving it to the 4-unit Maths forums.

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC

Now, I can keep on going. Or someone can realise that this will involve differentiating very complicated expressions to apply Newton's method :p
Also, could someone please tell me if they find any mistakes? Thanks :)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Woah, that's an amazing solution o_O

The amazing thing is, I understood almost all of that :D... however I doubt I would have been able to solve so far if it were in an exam in the HSC.

Last edited:

shaon0

HSC
If you have the Coordinates of C and where the larger circle meets the x-axis near B. Could you just use A=1/2 r^2(@-sin@) in both segments by constructing BD,BC,AD,AC?

Last edited by a moderator:

jet

Banned
HSC
Yes you could on second thought, though it would probably still be a bastard to solve. Will complete tomorrow.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
If you have the Coordinates of C and where the larger circle meets the x-axis near B. Could you just use A=1/2 r^2(@-sin@) in both segments by constructing BD,BC,AD,AC?
But how would you eliminate @? That method involves an angle and its sine hence might still give a transcendental equation.

shaon0

HSC
But how would you eliminate @? That method involves an angle and its sine hence might still give a transcendental equation.
I don't know, as I haven't worked on the problem yet (and don't plan to). I was just suggesting another method to calculate the areas as a iterative process wouldn't have to be used in the method. @ would just be atan(y/x) where y,x are co-ords of C, i think.

untouchablecuz

HSC
great work :) i did exactly the same thing, props on actually evaluating the integrals :p

for completion:

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
N/A
Actually, his final equation is incorrect.

The correct equation is

And when I put that one into wolframalpha, I get L=0.653742534637021....

Subsequent check of the sum of the areas of the 2 segments with this value of L indeed get's a value of exactly 0.5 for the area.

And this answer is NOT

Last edited:

untouchablecuz

HSC
Actually, his final equation is incorrect.

The correct equation is

And when I put that one into wolframalpha, I get L=0.653742534637021....

Subsequent check of the sum of the areas of the 2 segments with this value of L indeed get's a value of exactly 0.5 for the area.

And this answer is NOT
o rly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)