Maths Packages (1 Viewer)

T

Testpilot

Has anyone used Matlab, Mathematica or Maple? What is your opinion of the program? Any recomendations?

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Testpilot said:
Has anyone used Matlab, Mathematica or Maple? What is your opinion of the program? Any recomendations?
i havnt used mathematica or maple...but i have used Matlab

Matlab is very simple, almost error-proof when writing up code...very simple and interactive...and i heard the full version of Matlab is $30 000

have u used c++?
lol its the biggest headache

its like the transition from html code to frontpage
c++ to matlab

HSC
i used maple for my 1st yr maths subject this semester at UNSW and it seemed pretty powerful.

but i honestly can't give you an objective opinion about which is best as i haven't used them all. however i have been told that maple doesn't plot 3D stuff as well as the others, but other than that they're pretty much all the same.

and i agree about the C thing too! maple is much more fun

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
almost done now said:
however i have been told that maple doesn't plot 3D stuff as well as the others
matlab is very extensive in its department on plotting 3D structures..with a rotating tool and as well as generating animations.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah ive used both maple and mathematica and i have to say that the latter is easier to use.
You can download the trial version of mathematica from the mathematica site, but you cant save any work. Just have a play around and see whether it suits your needs.
Ive still the maple disc lying around somewhere and im never going near that thing ever again.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Im currently using matlab for a project of mine.

Im still new to it, im actually still trying to teach my myself how to use it. I only need it for a project of mine for image processing, and I dont really like it all that much :(
Im not sure if you'd find this book useful, but if your using matlab for image processing i recommend -> Digital Image Processing using MATLAB, by Rafael C. Gonzalez, it's helping me out big time.

Other then that, i google for Matlab online tutorials for beginers.

Goodluck :)

Karl Marx

HSC
N/A
i have used matlab. its pretty easy. however i think mathematica is probably the easiest to use package out of the 3

what are you going to use it for however? matricies analysis? then matlabs prob ur best bet

auzbabe4christ

Hi. How are you?
HSC
i haven't used mathematica... or whatever it's called... but i've used the other two. from my opinion, MATLAB is easy to use then MAPLE.. although neither are really hard to use... but then, that could be cause i wasn't doing in depth stuff.. anyways, as some1 else said.. they're all pretty similar in the long run, so yea..

dorkman

HSC
There are two free programs out there that pretty dam good: Octave and Scilab. Octave's syntax is very similar to Matlabs and I recommend it if you need a tool for matrices and it can plot as well, however I haven't used it for this.

:wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)