Maths Knowledge Required for Commerce majoring in Finance (1 Viewer)

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
Hi guys, since the end of VCE in 2006 i have completely forgotten pretty much everything we learned in maths class and is a little nervous with the required maths knowledge we are supposed to have for finance.

Does anyone know which areas of maths would we need to be proficient with in order to not fall behind in class? Thanks very much in advance.

ikabod

HSC
N/A
Pretty much zero mathematical ability required. If you're intelligent enough to get into commerce you shouldn't have any trouble with finance subjects.

In my opinion finance is far more about concepts than maths - I've found formulas flow easily and logically when you hve a good understanding of the underlying finance concept/theory (rather than just memorising the formula).

My best advice is don't worry about the maths, but do go to your classes....(advice I wish I had taken!)

:wave:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
ikabod said:
Pretty much zero mathematical ability required. If you're intelligent enough to get into commerce you shouldn't have any trouble with finance subjects.

In my opinion finance is far more about concepts than maths - I've found formulas flow easily and logically when you hve a good understanding of the underlying finance concept/theory (rather than just memorising the formula).

My best advice is don't worry about the maths, but do go to your classes....(advice I wish I had taken!)

:wave:
It depends on which area of finance you want to get into. Anything involving investments and trading requires a good grasp of the no.s and the mathematical methods to analyse them.

HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
It depends on which area of finance you want to get into. Anything involving investments and trading requires a good grasp of the no.s and the mathematical methods to analyse them.
which areas of finance don't require this?

HSC
N/A
ND said:
I-Banking.

What about it? Are they maths intensive or little maths

velox said:
operations
What about it? Are they maths intensive or little maths.

Also what is operations Finance? Is that like Financial Management?

is a roflcopter
HSC
HELLO ND
HOW ARE YOU
I REMEMbER HOW YOU CANE 4U lol

ND

HSC
Hahah hi newbie - if only uni maths was as awesome as 4u!

HSC
N/A
So if you did 4U maths, then one assumes that any maths would be easy to you, so how would they compare to Maths 2U or General Maths

ikabod

HSC
N/A
I did maths A and still have found finance easy.

Honestly - if you do your work there's nothing to be scared about, you'll be fine!

:)

ND

HSC
velox said:
omg you went to the same school as newbie?
Nah.

So if you did 4U maths, then one assumes that any maths would be easy to you,
I don't see how that's a valid assumption.

so how would they compare to Maths 2U or General Maths
How would what compare to 2u or gen? IB and ops?

You still have to be smart to do well in IB, so if you struggled with any less than 3u forget about banking. Couldn't tell you about ops but it's a lot easier to get in there than any front or middle office role.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well i beg to differ on the 3u thingo. Sales requires limited maths, just need to get your head around some trading strategies and pricing models. Cash trading requires minimal maths.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
how much maths knowledge is required for a mathematics degree tia

ND

HSC
velox said:
Well i beg to differ on the 3u thingo. Sales requires limited maths, just need to get your head around some trading strategies and pricing models. Cash trading requires minimal maths.
That wasn't my point - it was that if you struggle with 2u or General, you clearly don't have the intelligence required to succeed in these careers.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
velox said:
You could go in with 2u, however you would have to work pretty damn hard. 3u + is advisable.
I did 2 unit but I really like uni maths - and maths in general - so far and depending how I go first year I'm considering doing a BSc in maths or physics. Crazy?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)