• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Maths in Focus is pathetic (1 Viewer)

superbird

HSC
I will probably fail my HSC because of it. I have noticed that some questions asked in the HSC exam aren't even covered properly in this textbook. I might go and get a copy of Fitzpatrick.

HSC
Yeah its pretty shitty. I hate how they have examples for like the first 2 or 3 questions of each exercise and after that you're pretty much on your own. It sucks!

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
still, its a good book. Its concise, easy to follow their proofs (in some rare cases, NOT) and doing a full chapter of each topic will get you ready to do harder chapters and questions and get used to the feel that a question would give you.

Like CM_TUtor said, you must learn how to walk before you can run ^_^

CrashOveride

HSC
Where did CM_TUTOR say that? I wanna sig it =p

Im using jones and couchman for 3u and i can empathise with your situation. It is better to get a more variety of questions under your belt.

P

prsce24

the book sux, but its format is very simple.
if u want to make summary notes, i say maths in focus is good

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I actually like Maths In Focus because I do the questions there first, and then move on to Fitz and such. It explains things more easily, IMHO.

Having said that, not a lesson passes where my teacher does not complain that he wants a better textbook.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
i agree with slide rule. the explanations are simple to understand and the excercises are only a starting block. we used that book last year and this year we're using cambridge..such a wonderful difference.. :rolleyes:

jen :)

the book isnt that bad. in book one its a bit dodgy on circle geom n quadratics, but if u want a good one 4 those, then an old jones n couchman 3u book is excellent 4 that stuff

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
i like MIF because i can actually do the questions and it makes me feel smart and adequate :uhhuh:

but then when i try to go near cambridge i cry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)