Maths in Civil Engineering. (1 Viewer)

-JD

HSC
Hi,

Recently I've been interested in civil engineering/construction management. To be honest, i would probably end up going into project management, however I would prefer to have a civil degree over a degree in construction management. My questions is will I be able to handle the mathematics in civil, majoring in something like project/construction management (looking at Usyd here), I'm your average 2u student, I did 3u in year 11 but dropped it. With enough effort I could probably be a competent 3u student, but I don't see myself on the level of a 4u, is civil engineering right for me?

-JD

HSC
about 70-80%'s.

to be honest, I really don't apply myself much (nothing to be proud of, I know if i do civil I will need to), hmm but I don't do physics either, that would be a problem aye?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
HSC doesn't really indicate if you're 'ready' for Engineering.

HSC physics is useless, but the concepts do help a tad bit.

You do however need a strong mathematical background, you will struggle the first year of uni only having done 2unit - but if you're able to make it through that, engineerings a breeze

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
First year maths is more about rocking up to lectures and studying rather than being 'good' at maths - you will be fine if you are willign to put in your 30 hours a week uni + study IMHO

-JD

HSC
thanks for the reply tommykins, I've seen your posts around from time to time, they seem reputable. I guess the question is how much effort I am willing to put into my maths.

as for boredoffail, I'll do better for myself than an internet troll :)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
my honest take is that you must genuinely have done NOTHING at uni in order to fail

just rocking up to lectures and tutorials is more than enough for a credit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)