Maths in Biomedical engineering (1 Viewer)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
if u drop 2u and expect to bridge 3u it would be pretty difficult, do some catching up and maybe tutoring and you should be fine.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
if u drop 2u and expect to bridge 3u it would be pretty difficult, do some catching up and maybe tutoring and you should be fine.
This pretty much. Bridging 2u to 3u isn't that hard, because you still know basic calculus (which is the most important part). With general you have no experience with calc, which makes it a lot harder. The maths faculty does offer subjects for people in your position, but I'm not sure how it would fit in with a biomed engineering degree

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Mate its an engineering degree. The maths will be hard. Theres specific maths subjects in first and second year but itll get worse from there. Bridging courses are shit. If you cant cope with 3 unit maths Ill be brutally honest and say engineering probably isnt the way to go. with general maths you're going to be a fair bit behind.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
This pretty much. Bridging 2u to 3u isn't that hard, because you still know basic calculus (which is the most important part). With general you have no experience with calc, which makes it a lot harder. The maths faculty does offer subjects for people in your position, but I'm not sure how it would fit in with a biomed engineering degree
Engineering facult doesnt want you doing any fundies units.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
If you dropped 2U because you found it hard, then bridging 2U and 3U, for most people in this situation, will be difficult, if not impossible.

We keep finding people on BOS expressing the desire to do Engineering, and all they have mathwise is General. Why are they so naive and unrealistic? It shows that students in Year 10 should be given better guidance in their choice of subjects.

Last edited:

zxreth

HSC
Mate its an engineering degree. The maths will be hard. Theres specific maths subjects in first and second year but itll get worse from there. Bridging courses are shit. If you cant cope with 3 unit maths Ill be brutally honest and say engineering probably isnt the way to go. with general maths you're going to be a fair bit behind.
this

pyjama27

HSC
i dont necessarily want to do engineering. I have a passion for medical sciences. Just wanted to know whether maths is going to a major focal point of the course. Med science is my other alternative.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
math would still be a component, but chemistry would be much more significant imo

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
i dont necessarily want to do engineering. I have a passion for medical sciences. Just wanted to know whether maths is going to a major focal point of the course. Med science is my other alternative.
Now if you do a Bachelor of Medical Science, that's a different cattle of fish. I just had a quick check for the USyd course: - good news for you: no maths required.

Edit
Sorry, sorry, sorry. I'm wrong.

Last edited:

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Now if you do a Bachelor of Medical Science, that's a different cattle of fish. I just had a quick check for the USyd course: - good news for you: no maths required.
Isnt there 12 maths units for all USYD science degrees? But this would be fine as the OP could take fundamentals in first year and then not have much maths later on.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Out of the 5 university degrees I have taken part in, Engineering was by far the most difficult.
If you do not have an appreciation for mathematics as a language, disregard engineering.

If you do not even have an understanding of 2u mathematics, you will not be a successful engineering student, regardless of discipline.

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Out of the 5 university degrees I have taken part in, Engineering was by far the most difficult.
If you do not have an appreciation for mathematics as a language, disregard engineering.

If you do not even have an understanding of 2u mathematics, you will not be a successful engineering student, regardless of discipline.
:O.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You will have to do up to second year MATHXXXX units but there's probably more maths after that.

Seriously, if you haven't done at least MX1, I would avoid engineering.

HSC
Engineers usually do MATH2067 which is Vector Calc for engineers...as everyone has recommended - pick another degree. You are insufficiently prepared for engineering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)