Maths Ext 1 (1 Viewer)

So Which one do you prefer? Please also comment.

• Cambridge Ext Maths

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • Maths in FOcus Ext

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Terry Lee Ext Maths

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Fitzpatric Ext Maths

Votes: 12 21.8%

• Total voters

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Which of these textbooks are good to use in preliminary and hsc and for what reasons... This will not only help me but many other people who are considering ext maths so please respond.

-Maths in Focus Ext
- Fitzpatric Ext
- Cambridge Ext
- Terry Lee Ext

Please also vote in the poll above and dont forget to comment about your choice and why you pick that book. Sharing is Caring... SO please share.
Thanks

Last edited:

hayabusaboston

HSC
Which of these textbooks are good to use in preliminary and hsc and for what reasons... This will not only help me but many other people who are considering ext maths so please respond.

-Maths in Focus Ext
- Fitzpatric Ext
- Cambridge Ext
- Terry Lee Ext

Please also vote in the poll above and dont forget to comment about your choice and why you pick that book. Sharing is Caring... SO please share.
Thanks
In a level of increasing difficulty (a guess actually, havent seen terry lee or MIF, only seen fitzy and cambridge):
Maths in focus
Terry lee
Fitzpatrick
Cambridge

Cambridge has a lot of very high quality questions, ones that really challenge you and get you thinking, BUT it also has a fair bit of irrelephant stuff to HSC there and some questions are so hard that many people get demotivated in maths and want to drop it completely. It seems most people stay motivated and have a good enjoyment of maths extension while at the same time being reasonably challenged from using Fitzpatrick. That's the best choice for most kids imo.

You shouldnt really get cambridge unless you're super enthusiastic about maths lol, its not gonna be very good for ur motivational levels if ur faint hearted.

Lieutenant_21

HSC
Physics in Focus is the worst textbook ever made and high school teachers use it only because it is easy. The questions there are terrible, repetitive and very easy. Do not use it even if your school uses it.
I heard Fitzpatrick is good but I personally have never used it (I do have it in my bookshelf though).
Cambridge starts with very easy questions and gets harder and harder for each exercise so I usually do only the harder questions.
Terry Lee is my favourite. The questions are relatively hard and very relevant to the HSC. It also helps with the harder 3U topic in MX2.

I think if you use both cambridge and terry lee you should be fine.

EDIT: Maths in Focus.
Used to saying Physics in Focus because it is an awesome physics textbook!)

Last edited:

hayabusaboston

HSC
Physics in Focus is the worst textbook ever made and high school teachers use it only because it is easy. The questions there are terrible, repetitive and very easy. Do not use it even if your school uses it.
I heard Fitzpatrick is good but I personally have never used it (I do have it in my bookshelf though).
Cambridge starts with very easy questions and gets harder and harder for each exercise so I usually do only the harder questions.
Terry Lee is my favourite. The questions are relatively hard and very relevant to the HSC. It also helps with the harder 3U topic in MX2.

I think if you use both cambridge and terry lee you should be fine.

See its good there's people who have used all the books so can make a fair judgement lol. I like cambridge over fitzpatrick, need to check out MIF and terry lee

Peter-PF7

HSC
N/A
I found maths in focus was reeeally good when used in conjunction with past papers!! I found it had the most relevant question types for hwk practice (however i used fitzpatrick for one or two exercises)...

ebbygoo

HSC
Is Fitzpatrick mainly questions or an actual full theory (explainations) AND questions textbook?

Peeik

HSC
Is Fitzpatrick mainly questions or an actual full theory (explainations) AND questions textbook?
"What's this drumming in my head?" - nice dp btw!

TO answer your question, Fitzpatrick does explain abit of theory but he mainly uses examples to illustrate the theory. The theory in fitzpatrick doesnt go into alot of depth like cambridge.

Capt Rifle

HSC
Focus is a big no, majority of questions are not examination based. I study off fitz and camb, fitz mainly for exam practice + past papers, and camb for explaining concepts and keeping up to date in maths.

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Which Textbook has fully worked solutions, good explanations and questions like cambridge and fitzpatrick?

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
I think Terry Lee has worked solutions. Haven't used it in a while though, I use Cambridge and Fitzpatrick more cause school uses it.

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
I think Terry Lee has worked solutions. Haven't used it in a while though, I use Cambridge and Fitzpatrick more cause school uses it.
Thanks Kurosaki for the reply and a nice one +1. WHich textbook has fully worked solutions, good explanations and questions like cambridge and fitzpatrick for EXT 1.

ebbygoo

HSC
"What's this drumming in my head?" - nice dp btw!

TO answer your question, Fitzpatrick does explain abit of theory but he mainly uses examples to illustrate the theory. The theory in fitzpatrick doesnt go into alot of depth like cambridge.
TAP TAP TAP TAP
TAP TAP TAP TAP
TAP TAP TAP TAP

And yeah.

EDIT: In addition to this topic, I'd like to ask what people think how maths books go in order of difficulty for questions. I often read that MIF has the easiest questions, but how do the others stack up?
Thanks

Last edited:

ebbygoo

HSC
Also, adding to my previous question, with Fitzpatrick books, are 2U and 3U separate, or are they combined like in MIF 3U.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)