Maths Competition (1 Viewer)

P

pLuvia

hey the maths comp is this thursday, are there any sites where you can get past maths comp tests? my teacher gave me the 2003 one.. does neone have ne more? could they scan it for me.. thx

A l

HSC
N/A
This year's Mathematics Competition for the Westpac Awards has changed a lot from last year. I've heard that there are short answer questions which replaced some of the multiple choice questions in the last section.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Penalties for incorrect answers have been removed. The marking scale has been changed to 3 for q1-10, 4 for 11-20 and 5 for 21-30, and the last 5 questions require an integer solution from 0 to 999 inclusive.

AMT has a very limited range of example questions. It is best to check with your school. As for the last 5 questions the closest thing I can think of is the AIMO, but obviously you can't have questions of that difficulty in the AMC.

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
i have to go to school just for the maths comp :(
which sucks
well i dont have to...
i guess i can skip it
but its good prep for maths 2u / 3u exam apparently
next week guys *sobs*

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
There is no penalty whatsoever. As with all AMT competitions no calculator will be allowed.

I don't really see how the AMC will help with HSC maths. AMC isn't about getting the right answer, it's reducing it down to 2 possible answers and go with the one that's probably right. It wasn't possible to solve every question in the time permitted completely, and definitely won't be now.

P

pLuvia

hey does anyone have the answers to the AMC 2003 for years 11 and 12 ?? appreciated..~ thx

timmay05

HSC
I am going to do it tomorrow. I think we only have about 4 yr 12s out of 114 showing up to do it. But I have to be at school to get something off a teacher so I thought why not?

Umm if I had a scanner I could scan you all the old ones.

justchillin

HSC
Looking foward to a challenge but I have to say that these days I am quite lost without a calculator... quite ironic seeing that calculus has done this to me (was a bad joke working on the calculator/ calculus pun, I apologise...)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
David_O said:
Kids from that forum are probably a million times better than you
Well said. Mathlinks and AoPS are full of past and current olympians. Not to mention potential Fields medalists.

3G'sMt5:16

HSC
hey... what you think of it... its quite hard... but some questions were pretty fun... thats cuzz i solved some of it...kkeekeke

P

pLuvia

3G'sMt5:16 said:
hey... what you think of it... its quite hard... but some questions were pretty fun... thats cuzz i solved some of it...kkeekeke
man it was so hard, i only got one of the 5 last questions lol.. the first one.. :p

David_O

HSC
N/A
I put the wrong answer for that one =/
Shocking.

The polynomials q was a normal 4u question though.

P

pLuvia

David_O said:
I put the wrong answer for that one =/
Shocking.

The polynomials q was a normal 4u question though.
lol.. u mean the
x + y + z= 5 one?? how did you do that one newayz??
lol

David_O

HSC
N/A
xy + yz + zx = 5 (using the results they gave you)
then 1/x + 1/y + 1/x = (xy + yz + zx)/xyz = 5/xyz or 5/xy (by substituting xy = z^2 in an earlier form of the expression)
so z = 1, xy = 1, answer is 5.

munkaii

HSC
Woohoo! Is the answer for the L Shaped cake 100? Its a shame i wrote 75 because i miscalculated..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)