Maths Clashes (1 Viewer)

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
If Im doing Math1251 and discrete next semester, but they clash, is there anyway to overcome this? eg do discrete next year? the maths people said they cant do anything and i have to choose which lectures to do but then i spoke to other people in my course and they said they managed to work it out? I really dont want to do a maths course without lectures. id die.
Thanks

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
I don't think you really needed to turn up to discrete lectures, unless you were already at uni and wanted a nap :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
Are there multiple streams in either subjects?

If they are both cores for you, they have to fix up the clash since you wouldn't be the only one.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
when i enrolled back in january for semester 2 it said there was only 1 lecture for each. discrete is part of my science degree and maths1251 is a core for commerce. could i take another science subject altogether, such as psychology?

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
are you doing computer science as your science major?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by ezzy85
when i enrolled back in january for semester 2 it said there was only 1 lecture for each. discrete is part of my science degree and maths1251 is a core for commerce. could i take another science subject altogether, such as psychology?
ezzy what are you majoring in?
you can't be doing computer science, can you? or else i would know you by now

hmmm

what else requires discrete?

i'm doing discrete maths next year, that is if i pass 1151, or else i will be doing that next session

sneaky pete

HSC
N/A
bloody discrete clashes with everything
i can't do it next session either so ill do it session 1 05

sunny

meh.
HSC
what else requires discrete?
Though not explicitly listed, it is helpful or even assumed in many COMP courses.

MuSaRuRWa

hahaha ezzy happens to be doing a major in maths .... ezzy, u could use those 6 cps to pursue another one of ur compulsory subjects. im assuming u do actuarial/maths. if not discrete, do comp1091, as thats a recommended subject for ur degree. that is, if i got the right degree in mind ....

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
hmmmm but most actuarial students will be filled with all commerce subjects next semester

unless ezzy, you've deferred some core subjects

most people will be

econ
acct
actl
math

MuSaRuRWa

redslert, chk out the study plan for actuarial/maths on ww.maths.unsw.edu.au under current students and my msg will make sense :)

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MuSaRuRWa
hahaha ezzy happens to be doing a major in maths .... ezzy, u could use those 6 cps to pursue another one of ur compulsory subjects. im assuming u do actuarial/maths. if not discrete, do comp1091, as thats a recommended subject for ur degree. that is, if i got the right degree in mind ....
spot on. the only person crazy enough to be doing maths courses for a maths degree. i survived comp1091 this semester and hopefully if i dont fail i wont have to think about it ever again (oh how i hate that course).

because of the science part of the degree, ill be doing macro next year instead of next session like all my actuary friends.

MuSaRuRWa

hmmmm then u could do business finance now ... in s2 ... or just do macro, it dont matter

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
can i use business finance as part of my science degree?

MuSaRuRWa

Originally posted by ezzy85
can i use business finance as part of my science degree?
no, as part of commerce .... its an exemption subject from the institute of actuaries ... u know abt the exemptions, dont u?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
yeh
i have yet to see a defined list of exemption subjects where we have to credit or above to get the exemps part1!

MuSaRuRWa

part 1 exemptions:
actl2001
actl2002
actl2003
actl3001
actl3002
actl3003
actl3004
fins1613 + acct 2b
econ1101 + econ2102 or econ1102 + econ2101
those r ur 9 exemptions for part 1, do em

for part 2, its actl4001 n actl4002. u do that either as a co op or in a double degree or in honours or as a non award course.

go to the few coupla guest lectures at 12 on mondays for more details :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)