Maths and Science students, INCREASED FEES for 2013! (1 Viewer)

Dylanamali

HSC
Sorry, if this is old news or not..
but it's something I just came across and may be of interest to any new maths/science students starting in 2013.

http://ministers.deewr.gov.au/evans/band-2-student-contribution-reinstated-maths-and-science

The government has no longer listed Maths/Science courses as a national priority - and as such they are now considering these courses as Band 2 student contribution courses. As such, the fees which were close to $4500 in 2012, will now be close to $8500 for new students commencing in 2013.

HSC
Uni Grad
But tbh, not everyone is going to choose courses based on subject fees. In fact, the govt tried to do that by attracting more ppl to do maths and science subs at uni. Not going to work.

Although it will increase my debt, I still know that my choice to do maths/stats hasn't changed.

Dylanamali

HSC
But tbh, not everyone is going to choose courses based on subject fees. In fact, the govt tried to do that by attracting more ppl to do maths and science subs at uni. Not going to work.

Although it will increase my debt, I still know that my choice to do maths/stats hasn't changed.

Yeah of course..
whilst it's not gonna make me change course, it will double my debt.. which is highly disappointing.
Furthermore the lack of notice from my University or the actual Government institutions just compounds my disappointment.

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah of course..
whilst it's not gonna make me change course, it will double my debt.. which is highly disappointing.
Furthermore the lack of notice from my University or the actual Government institutions just compounds my disappointment.
Though the thing is, that for HECs, you'll only be required to pay it back when the govt tells you to do so, plus it's deducted from our tax anyway.

We should appreciate the fact that we have a system like this, coz in the future I think that the aust. govt may eventually need to abolish it or make it means tested. Uni fees like what we have is nothing compared with countries such as the US, also given the fact that the only interest we have to pay is for inflation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)