Mathematics to General maths? (1 Viewer)

Hazballs

HSC
Hey Guys,

Well, after the half yearly for mathematics i'm facing that decision of dropping to general maths..

My first assessment task for mathematics i got 89% and for the half yearly i'm guessing somewhere around 60-70% because i'm fairly adamant i went rather bad.. I felt pretty prepared going in i had done 15+ past papers so i don't know what happened..

So, do you think its worth dropping to general? The time spent catching up on all the general work could go into reiterating mathematics and so on that we've done so far.. Quite a few people from our school last year dropped from mathematics to general maths who we're doing worse then me and received marks in the 90's with some being above 95. I'm doing 10 units so i don't really want to screw this up, so yeah what do you think i should do?

Live

HSC
stay in maths

get confidence back up

all done.

Sunners

HSC
Uni Grad
Having done General since Year 11, I can tell you that you would have a lot to catch up on if you dropped to General. I'm not sure you could catch up on 5 terms work in time for the trials. Perhaps stick with 2U (content you already know) and work on improving that.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Not a good idea to switch - too late now - as has been pointed out above. General is not an easier version of Maths Advanced. Find out which areas you are weak in and work on them. Get help if necessary.

Last edited:

kat12345

HSC
N/A
Stick with 2 unit.

I did almost identical subjects to you and general maths brought my atar down a lot because it doesn't scale well, and standard English doesn't either.

Spend your time improving your current knowledge, it isn't too late. The general maths course is not a simplified version of 2 unit. I had friends in 4 unit that couldn't do some of our general stuff because it was so different to what they did.

If your really struggling maybe try finding a tutor (1 on 1 is ideal) and get them to go over the content with you. If your super desperate, you might even be able to convince your maths teacher to offer a lunch class to help you revise :p

Good luck:)

Mathematica

HSC
N/A
Do not drop to general... 2U maths is already very easy.

moocow920

HSC
definitely stay, i changed for the start of the hsc course from 2u to general, and i had to study the entire prelim course, which took a fair while. as someone said above, general is not an easier version of 2u at all, its totally different content, so i think at this stage you would do better spending your time improving your 2u rather than learning the entire prelim and hsc course so far from scratch, and 2u scales a bit better too. so yea, having changed myself i would definitely not advise it at this stage, i would not change any later than term 4

Nws m8

Banned
HSC
Uni Grad
Having done General since Year 11, I can tell you that you would have a lot to catch up on if you dropped to General. I'm not sure you could catch up on 5 terms work in time for the trials. Perhaps stick with 2U (content you already know) and work on improving that.
+1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)