Mathematics: Multiple Choice? (1 Viewer)

hazza1424

HSC
So next years mathematics HSC exam is going to have 10 multiple choice questions! is this going to be good or bad? So now in the multiple choice our working outwill be worth nothing? And also will it give us more time to work on questions?

Sammydubbs

HSC
To be honest I think it's stupid having multiple choice in maths, as it doesn't exactly give you a chance to showcase your math knowledge so I think it's bad but I guess other people will be happy about it. But I prefer being able to do normal questions with working and all that stuff.

jadenmaccas

HSC
On another note, does the introduction to 10 MC questions in math negatively alter the scaling of the course?

hazza1424

HSC
I'm not to sure if it will scale down! but hopefully not because their trying to make the exam so that everyone can achieve at least 10marks?

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
cost cutting

but srsly, won't make that much of a difference, you still need to know what you're doing to get the marks.

Timothy6340

HSC
yea the multiple choice in maths is just be littleing the subject as if it was english studies or general math, i belive it is a completely stupid idea and if you need the multiple choice to get marks in mathamatic you should not be doing it, maby talk to ur caree's advisor about droping to general maths

hazza1424

HSC
i mean its not my fault for multiple choice? i was just asking for peoples ideas on what they think about it? i wasn't going to drop maths! im tooo good to drop!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it's stupid, 10 MC and out of 100. Grumble and grumble. I suppose I'll still have to know all the maths though, but I still think MC has no choice in maths.

My maths teacher ranted about it, but said to keep the board happy, just chucked two on the end of our next assessment.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
We had our first MX1 assessment today and it contained 10 MC questions. It was actually not that bad. I quite enjoyed it to be honest even though they tried to trick us. ^_^

Saturn WY15

HSC
i reckon it dumbs down the exam as individual would be able to guess there way through instead of getting marks for working out , so i think it pretty shit.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
The sole purpose is to save money as you all know.

Personally I believe it makes the exam a lot harder. Sure you have the 1/4 chance of guessing an answer correctly, but let's consider this. You're going to be doing a fair amount of work for one mark (check out the specimen MC papers) and if you get the answer wrong, it's wrong. Previously, more marks were allocated to fewer questions in question 1, which most students should be able to attain full marks anyway.

bleakarcher

HSC
it is fuking shit, they arent even going to increase the exam time.

alse

HSC
so there won't be any changes to the content right? just the multiple choice is new

ZeeZee3

HSC
This really sucks, i really really hate multiple choice. Multiple choice is the reason i fail most of my tests. btw, does that mean if i were to do 4 unit for hsc, the 3 unit paper also has the multiple choice? or is it just those people doing the 2 unit maths paper that have it?...

bleakarcher

HSC
All papers will implement it.
Slyhunter, how do you think the introduction of multiple choice into the papers will affect time and scaling (since people are going on about this quite a bit)?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Granted the exam will be harder (only for question 1), effects on time and scaling should (for any capable student) be minimal.

In the end, it's happening and there's nothing you can do about it. Remember you're not the only one sitting the exam, thousands are in the exact same position.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)