mathematics level for pharmacy (1 Viewer)

keropi

HSC
N/A
hey
this question is directed at anyone who does pharmacy...
do you think 2 unit mathematics is sufficient for this course?....i know it says assumed knowledge is 2 unit maths but one of my uni friends said that they did 2 unit maths for like the first 2 weeks and then quickly progressed to mathematics in the 4 unit level..is that true?
am i disadvantaged if i do 2 unit maths and planning to do pharmacy?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Hey, I'm doing first year pharmacy this year. My opinion is that 2U Maths is the very basic minimum needed to pass. There are two sections--calculus and statistics. You will find the calculus bit ok, but the statistics component is more challenging. We're doing statistical binomial probability, and binomial is a 3U topic. It's not covered extensively--the definition of binomials is really all you need to know, and even then, it will soon become like differentiating using first principles--it will fall out of use when you are taught easier ways of getting aruond that topic. You will survive that bit I'm sure, but it is helpful to have done 3U Maths (or 4U, even better)

Another 3U bit is Newton's method (in calculus section), used to estimate roots of f(x) when you cannot find an exact root solution.

Just try to grasp the calculus (both differentiating and integration) bit of 2U Maths really well, and then you will only have the statistics part of the maths subject to slog through. Basic stuff like curve sketching will come in handy too. Also, expontential functions and linear relationships (so bascially y=mx+b and all that Yaer 10 stuff) are big, so make sure you get a hand on that one too.

I'm sure there's other 3U bits here and there which we haven't covered yet, but this is within the first 5 weeks of term, so this is just giving you an idea.

hobbit

HSC
Hi, I"m in 2nd year Pharmacy and I did 3 units Maths. With statistics, it doesn't matter what maths you do, most of it will be new to you and you'll need to work through it yourself as the topics aren't covered in the HSC syllabus anyway. However, with calculus, it gets pretty tough if you've only done 2 unit maths. There were some things in the course which were still new to me because they were to a 4 unit level. Having said that though, if you apply yourself to it, you should still be able to get through with at least a pass. The hardest part isn't so much the difficulty of the content, it's the amount of workload and the speed at which it's taught.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
Is the mathematics in pharmacy as challenging as 4u maths? Harder or easier? Simply because I'll probably get a bit bored if the maths is too simple.

hobbit

HSC
If you are looking for a hard core maths course, then pharmacy isn't for you. The maths can get tough at times, but it's at an adequate level for those of 2 unit maths to get through if they apply themselves.

P

pLuvia

If you're that keen into maths Youseff then B.Sci(adv maths) :p I sort of want to do that but then not sure about it ;)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
but then u consider the difference in path between BSci(Adv) vs BPharm

BPharm is really a professional degree where you are qualified for practice as a pharmacist as well as its a science degree. Its where u know wat u want to do in terms of practical/research work usually in the medical/pharmacutical industry. also it allows u the perk of owning a pharmacy =) and being a pharmacist.

BSci(Adv) is a broad general degree that heads u towards a research career in anything science.. generally ull be in R&D or teaching... the skills are applicable to other careers tho but not specific..

with pharmacology there is a lot of calculus and like if you do further research you'll be able to do modelling and simulation but the maths isn't lik 4U/pure maths its more practical computer based work. this is to reflect reality and some times you have lik 5-20 variables.

if u ended up as a pharmacist in a shop... ull rarely do any higher level of mathematics tho.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
hmmmm... not sure, but it just seems sad that 4u will be the hardest maths I would ever do if i'm going to do pharmacy... that sux lol

maybe pharmacy + advanced maths ...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
err 4U isnt the hardest maths you'll ever do...
its very ideal and not in the same league as research pharmacy.. it seems hard but its about time management and not impossible

and in contrast
pharmacological/pharmacokinetic modelling is very challenging, hardly ideal and can make you want to kill the person that developed that drug ... after 8 weeks of doing the same simulation.. =(

P

pLuvia

Just one question are you able to combine an arts degree with pharmacy?

YBK: Might be thinking of that too :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)