Mathematics Extension 2 Predictions (1 Viewer)

tgone

HSC
As in draw a triangle to prove Am-Gm for 2? 💀 Got scammed. Normally all the geometrical proofs I see are all functions and areas under the curve tbh
yeah same with all the ones I see- considering that 'hard' questions typically like to combine syllabus points ... but no, it's literally just 'hey you remember pythagoreas... yeah, now draw it'

1666059213492.png

okkk

HSC
yeah same with all the ones I see- considering that 'hard' questions typically like to combine syllabus points ... but no, it's literally just 'hey you remember pythagoreas... yeah, now draw it'

View attachment 36614
If I open up Q16 on Thursday and they give us a munted inequality and write prove geometrically I'm gonna ask for a refund

tgone

HSC
If I open up Q16 on Thursday and they give us a munted inequality and write prove geometrically I'm gonna ask for a refund
lmao literally... i'll just like draw them a nice triangle and leave the question

tgone

HSC
This one is not too bad actually, I can do this one. The one that I've attached is the inequality that threw off most people in our yr in our trials and it's what I thought geometric inequalities meant lmao
yeah - it's not too bad but under exam conditions the notation looks a little scary I guess, especially in like q14-15 (I forget)

the other two that threw people off in ours was part (ii) of this (part i is free)
1666061002048.png

and also the later parts of this

1666061023402.png

okkk

HSC
yeah - it's not too bad but under exam conditions the notation looks a little scary I guess, especially in like q14-15 (I forget)

the other two that threw people off in ours was part (ii) of this (part i is free)
View attachment 36617

and also the later parts of this

View attachment 36618
Ok complex is chill but that vectors one is weird cos in my mind, aren't there an infinite amount of values for R that trace an annulus about the sphere?

d1zzyohs

HSC
Real talk.
:) if you are cis(theta) gang.
:( if you are exponential gang.
:mad: if you are Cartesian form gang.

cis(theta) is the only right answer, and the only one that is correct.
why?
because cis(theta) is easier to read, graphically easier to understand, and has very nice properties of cos and sins.
exponential is too small and you can misread the angle. cringe.
This one is not too bad actually, I can do this one. The one that I've attached is the inequality that threw off most people in our yr in our trials and it's what I thought geometric inequalities meant lmao
cssa. i didn't get that one :(. was actually pretty straight forward after you graphed everything with hypothetical constants.

tgone

HSC
Real talk.
:) if you are cis(theta) gang.
:( if you are exponential gang.
:mad: if you are Cartesian form gang.

why?
because cis(theta) is easier to read, graphically easier to understand, and has very nice properties of cos and sins.

cssa. i didn't get that one :(. was actually pretty straight forward after you graphed everything with hypothetical constants.
exponential form gang :)

and yeah- I had a go at the q just then and after graphing it becomes clear that |cbrta-cbrt(a-b)| will have a greater magnitude than |cbrt(a)-cbrt(a+b)| due to the concavity? not sure if that’s the right path, but it seems to work;

|cbrta-cbrt(a-b)|>|cbrta-cbrt(a+b)|
cbrta-cbrt(a-b) > cbrt(a+b)-cbrta
2cbrta>cbrt(a+b)+cbrt(a-b)

okkk

HSC
exponential form gang :)

and yeah- I had a go at the q just then and after graphing it becomes clear that |cbrta-cbrt(a-b)| will have a greater magnitude than |cbrt(a)-cbrt(a+b)| due to the concavity? not sure if that’s the right path, but it seems to work;

|cbrta-cbrt(a-b)|>|cbrta-cbrt(a+b)|
cbrta-cbrt(a-b) > cbrt(a+b)-cbrta
2cbrta>cbrt(a+b)+cbrt(a-b)
Yeah, I think this does work, I mean in the exam I did it funkily by finding trapezium areas. The suggested probably makes the must intuitive sense with concavity honestly

Attachments

tgone

HSC
Yeah, I think this does work, I mean in the exam I did it funkily by finding trapezium areas. The suggested probably makes the must intuitive sense with concavity honestly
yeah that suggested does look like it makes the most sense; I don’t know if I would have thought of it in an exam, my way just seemed the most obvious to me since the concavity implies it increases at a decreasing rate… but suggested sltn is probably more rigorous than my method— although, it uses the same assumption essentially so I think mine would still work

tgone

HSC
how did you do it with trapeziums though, I’m curious?

okkk

HSC
how did you do it with trapeziums though, I’m curious?
It's the same assumption but I said that the area of two trapeziums would be greater than just the one trapezium cos it's concave down so that mid point on the graph will be above the line drawn for one trapezium. It was the only thing that came into my mind during the exam, kinda funny how I basically did the suggested solution but made it unnecessarily complicated with areas but I guess in an exam you take what you can get 😭

Attachments

tgone

HSC
It's the same assumption but I said that the area of two trapeziums would be greater than just the one trapezium cos it's concave down so that mid point on the graph will be above the line drawn for one trapezium. It was the only thing that came into my mind during the exam, kinda funny how I basically did the suggested solution but made it unnecessarily complicated with areas but I guess in an exam you take what you can get 😭
lmao i have no idea how you got to that but not the suggested thing… then again i’ve done some stupidly complicated stuff in exams that isn’t required so I can’t really talk 😂

okkk

HSC
lmao i have no idea how you got to that but not the suggested thing… then again i’ve done some stupidly complicated stuff in exams that isn’t required so I can’t really talk 😂
Well, I'm sure we'll activate our big brains for the nesa overlords 💀. Not much prep I can do today so I'm just gonna lay back for a bit, good luck for tomorrow : )

notme123

HSC
Real talk.
why?
if you ever do maths at uni they will burn you alive if you use cis form. cis is very much a high school thing. i think the ib uses cis more religiously than hsc. i agree its easier to read and putting pi in exponent can lead to clutter tho but exponential form is more universally used.

also clarifying: I mean if you use cis(pi/3), or something which is sacrilig. the eulars formula is fine, e^ix = cosx + isinx, because its like the most important formula in complex

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)