Mathematics Extension 2 Course Summary (1 Viewer)

aud

HSC
prsce24 said:
yea i asked the teacher the same question.
his answer:
"well, James Ruse finishes 2u fitzpatrick in yr 10 but they dont get assessed on it. so its not cheating. Same as us, we'll be learning but you guys won't get assessed."

I believe its just taking extra tutoring. THis doesnt go towards our minimum unit (12u for yr11). i currently have 13u, and doing this 4u doesnt make it 15u.
The teacher is sacrificing his own time to teach us in the mornings.
So...? The preliminary course can constitute of pretty much anything the school decides, they just have to tell the Board that the students have satisfactorily completed it... but to start HSC courses early is a different story...

I know that you're not doing it as an actual course course, but to have it being taught to you, as a course, by a school teacher, in your school, makes it... suspicious...

I don't know, anyone else have a problem with this?

aud

HSC
Just found this from the Boards site:

When are schools able to commence Preliminary courses for the new HSC?

The Board of Studies determined in May 1998 that the study of Preliminary courses for the new HSC is to begin on day 1, Term 1 of the calendar year and that this requirement will apply for Year 11, 2000.

This determination is in line with the Government's White Paper on reforms for the Higher School Certificate which stated that the study of the Preliminary course for the New HSC will commence on the first day of Term 1 of Year 11. The White Paper noted general support from school education authorities and educational stakeholders for this determination.

The decision on this matter is also related to the intention to return significance and purpose to the School Certificate and to ensure that students maintain their Year 10 studies until the end of the school year when the School Certificate tests are held.

Schools can choose to enhance their Year 10 program to prepare students for their Preliminary courses. This is different from commencing the Stage 6 program during Year 10. Schools would need to clearly differentiate between any enhancement to Year 10 programs and commencement of the Preliminary courses before day 1, Term 1 of the Year 11 calendar year.

So I don't know about James Ruse either...

cj_bridle

HSC
sorry to get back on topic guys but: mojako is there anything for mechanics yet? the others are really good.. i like a full set :D

mojako

HSC
To prsce24:

>> my skool uses photocopies of patel and cambridge (excercies only) <<
so you don't actually have a textbook (wait, since ur in yr11 maybe ur skool will tell u to buy textbook in yr12..)

>> just like u said, this book is not user friendly at all, it gives a question , then skips all working then gives the answer. <<
yea, I think it's intended for more advanced students (or the authors assume that the readers wont need those extra steps :p)

>> im confused half the tiime. <
mm try to do ur own working on a piece of paper

>> and since we're learning early, i have hard time trying to understand like the basic concepts of 2 and 3u thats in 4u. e.g. radians and integrals etc... <<
you can read the 3U textbook... (eg use the index or table of contents to find the page), but maybe it's better just to leave those questions and come back to them later
btw.. I think it's in the complex numbers chapter.. there's a question involving ( ) notation.. you can leave that too.

btw complex number doesnt deal with integral, does it?
for radian, all u need to know and remember is that:
1. it's just a different unit for degree.
180 degrees = pi radians (and pi is just a number, 3.1415...blablabla, which happens to be irrational)
from that you can convert one expression to another.
a useful tip (mm maybe..) for conversion generally is: divide both sides of the known expression by some constant, eg dividing "180 degress = pi radians" by pi and you'll get "180/pi degrees = 1 radian"
2. just be familiar with the radian expressions for 30 deg, 60 deg, 90 deg etc.
3. when doing integration and differentiation of trig functions, the "process" will treat the "input" as being in radian. for example, the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x). if you put x=20 then ur result will be cos(20 radians).

mojako

HSC
To aud:

"I know that you're not doing it as an actual course course, but to have it being taught to you, as a course, by a school teacher, in your school, makes it... suspicious...
I don't know, anyone else have a problem with this?"

Well I don't personally care about that.
But a compromise is maybe to teach more 2U and Ext1 topics in yr11 (as you said, the Board doesn't have a strict guideline on which topics are preliminary and which are HSC for 2U and ext1) and in yr12, use the 2U and Ext1 periods for teaching ext2 stuff. But I doubt prsce24's teacher would change his/her method... just leave it.. who cares...

mojako

HSC
cj_bridle said:
sorry to get back on topic guys but: mojako is there anything for mechanics yet? the others are really good.. i like a full set :D
no.. sorry...
but it should be ready next weekend... I'll make the mechanics first then the volumes
mm if u need that urgent, I always believe that reading ur textbook or teacher's handouts is a good idea if you feel "lost" in class... and doing past paper questions once you're not lost anymore

P

prsce24

to:aud,

yea i guess its kinda wrong for us be learning 1 term earlier.
but the teacher is taking his time off early in the morning to teach us. he doesnt get payed for it.

i said earlier that he's a crap teacher but he's a really nice guy and i should pay some respect to him :).

P

prsce24

thanx alot for ur tips and ur greaaaaaatt summary.
anyways, mojako u yr12?

ngai

HSC
prsce24 said:
yea i asked the teacher the same question.
his answer:
"well, James Ruse finishes 2u fitzpatrick in yr 10 but they dont get assessed on it. so its not cheating. Same as us, we'll be learning but you guys won't get assessed."
thats not quite true...
we got issued with the yellow fitz in yr10, but all i did was put it in my locker and never touched it for the rest of the yr

and also, about whether a school teaches the stuff in hsc course...well can't they just say "students asked us questions and requested to learn about complex numbers"
then the bos won't tell the teachers to reply "no we're not going to teach u" will they?

mojako

HSC
yes im in yr12

>> then the bos won't tell the teachers to reply "no we're not going to teach u" will they? <<
I think they will if it was some other subject :p
maths seem to be a special subject.. 4U students dont even have to do 2U assessments

boneyfish

Firstly, i must commend for your summaries as well. But can i suggest you change the text, because Times New Roman is so hard on the eyes. Something like Garamond is much nicer (preferably size 11).

Secondly, i never knew about "Microsoft Equations 3". It would've been really helpful...! Thanks to you, i now know it exists.

Lastly, shouldn't it be "Curve Sketching", not "Graphing", cause for a second i freaked out... memories of year 10 were coming back...!

I've got some really good summaries, but they're copyrighted. Sorry...!
Otherwise, good stuff!

mojako

HSC
MS Eqn is hidden by default... it's accessible from Insert > Object. but for the option to appear there you must have already installed the component, which is not done by the Typical Installation. so u need to go to control panel > add/remove programs, but obviously some1 who doesnt know about ms eqn wouldnt do that :p

The topic is formally called "Graphs" in the syllabus. what's graphing btw? i wasnt in australia from yr10 backwards :p

mm what kind of summaries would be copyrighted? not ur own "copyright", is it?
btw there's the whole physics Excel book on the Resources section, haha.. that's really an infringement of copyright... :p

hmm.. I opened ms word to see what Garamond looks like.. isn't it very similar to times new roman? arial and courier new would be different.. but.. garamond.. it looks really similar.

margaret_gn

HSC
I use the Cambridge book, and I don't think it's user-friendly, it doesn't really highlight on what's important. I also buy the Patel excel book, which I think is better in that it has examples of really common questions that my teacher uses for assessments etc ;-)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
mojako, do you think you could put the summaries back on BOS? Keep the site, but keep the attachment things. Because the external link is being funny....for me anyway. :chainsaw:

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
Geocities has closed down, you'll need to upload your notes to another web hosting server.

mojako

HSC
That's right...
I've attached the notes to the first post of this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)