Mathematics Extension 1 HSC thoughts (1 Viewer)

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
This version is better than the one that was here before and includes 12a from the Writing Booklet: https://www.educationstandards.nsw....22/mathematics-extension-1-2022-hsc-exam-pack

So this is the bit that was missing from the writing booklet needed to do Q12a.

I notice that notme123's solutions and canteen-2xq's solutions are missing that. It shouldn't take long to complete it now. I don't think this is a hard question.
Q12a-answer-booklet.png

Last edited:

notme123

HSC
I notice that notme123's solutions and canteen-2xq's solutions are missing that.
The solutions I posted were also missing 12 e and f as well cuz I accidentally skipped them lol. Don't worry about using them there are multiple errors that i cbb fixing cuz it was handwritten and cant edit easily. canteens solutions are much better (latex ftw)

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
That's OK. I think the canteen-2xq solutions had those didn't they?

maths4dayz

HSC
It was stupid how they jumped so rapidly; like last year and the 2020 papers were pretty easy and I was aiming for 100% in 3U. I had more trouble with the ext 1 paper than with ext 2. I reckon we should write something to NESA to say if they're gonna drastically increase the difficulty of our exams to at least either up the anti on the content we're learning or make more difficult questions available as practice questions. I reckon with the last two questions, the mean mark will be at or below 10%.

notme123

HSC
increase the difficulty of our exams to at least either up the anti on the content we're learning or make more difficult questions available as practice questions.
i agree but nesa would think its unreasonable. hsc questions are a breed of its own kind. they're meant to look unseen and unlike any question you've done before. if youve seen every type of hard question they could ask, then whats the point of the hsc exam. that's not to say people haven't seen these questions before, probably some dr du kids or something since they miraculously get 100 in every exam. also writing questions with the dexterity of hsc level is hard and requires a team of exam writers which nesa probably wont do just for practice qs

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Three points of data (2020-2022) does not imply a trend though. I mean in the past we kept talking about how NESA kept writing boring generic HSC maths exams (with only a handful of interesting challenging content) and now here we are…

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
i agree but nesa would think its unreasonable. hsc questions are a breed of its own kind. they're meant to look unseen and unlike any question you've done before. if youve seen every type of hard question they could ask, then whats the point of the hsc exam. that's not to say people haven't seen these questions before, probably some dr du kids or something since they miraculously get 100 in every exam. also writing questions with the dexterity of hsc level is hard and requires a team of exam writers which nesa probably wont do just for practice qs
that is true. But the level of complexity this test, was surely on par, if not even higher than the 2020 and 2021 papers. needless to say 4u was a huge leap. Just hope alignment is better!

notme123

HSC
that is true. But the level of complexity this test, was surely on par, if not even higher than the 2020 and 2021 papers. needless to say 4u was a huge leap. Just hope alignment is better!
no question these tests are harder. 3u last year was pretty simple. just comparing the multiple-choice, there's no question this year was harder. last year's mc was straightforward. The same goes for 4u.
something to think about is that with the start of a new English syllabus, questions are known to get made gradually harder by exam writing teams as the years go on and more resources and essay questions become available. moreso, the markers also demand higher-quality responses but that's an English thing. trebla is right in saying the end of old syllabus questions were uncreative so perhaps the opposite of english is eventually true for maths. time will tell.

Last edited:

yanujw

HSC
There really should be no formal complaint about unfairness. Some years are harder in some subject areas, some years it's easier. Maths was harder this year but we were also fortunate enough to get fair and easy english exams. As for other subjects I guess we'll wait and see.

That being said, I am PRAYING that they do not pull a challenge on us for the sciences. NESA had their evil fun with math, so hopefully physics is simple enough this time around.

Leggie

HSC
There really should be no formal complaint about unfairness. Some years are harder in some subject areas, some years it's easier. Maths was harder this year but we were also fortunate enough to get fair and easy english exams. As for other subjects I guess we'll wait and see.

That being said, I am PRAYING that they do not pull a challenge on us for the sciences. NESA had their evil fun with math, so hopefully physics is simple enough this time around.
I am expecting a state rank from you sir

idkkdi

HSC

i would assume physics is going to be harder this year. last year was easy and boring af.

tgone

HSC
That ship sailed a long, long time ago... you should be saying that to the people here that worry about getting 'only 90' as their raw mark
‘only 90’ isn't going to get me my state rank 😭 … quite literally going to get a higher raw in e2 than e1 at this point :(

i’m actually fuming, i’m pretty sure I got 15/15 in Q14 but I made way too many tiny errors across the paper in the easy questions 😤

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)