• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Mathematics course and 3/4 unit (1 Viewer)

pillar

HSC
I was wondering how many people have completed the entire HSC course (11 & 12) for Mathematics by either being an accelerant, self-teaching at home or tutoring BEFORE the beginning of Year 12. Mostly asking to the people who are doing 3/4 unit Maths in Yr 12.

I'm not accelerating currently, but my class is moving really quite slow so I may considering learning ahead at home because I think I'm capable of it (not really a maths whiz but the 2u course isn't that hard so far).

If you completed the 2u Maths course in Year 11, do you think it would be beneficial to do so, and do you think it would help in Year 12 being able to learn ahead for 3/4 unit Maths. Would you recommend completing it in Year 11, or at least just learning a few extra topics?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I accelerated mathematics (2U) and i found it extremely helpful as it serves as a bases for 3/4 unit maths.

If you have the time to accelerate then do the entire course or as much as you can. Math in the HSC is mostly about practise - the more you expose yourself to the better off you'll be. The 2u course isn't that hard - you self learn quite easily. It also gives you an advantage in class because if you learn ahead at home, then at school you'll just be reinforcing your knowledge.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Of course the more u learn ahead the more advantage u have; no rocket science.

pillar

HSC
Of course the more u learn ahead the more advantage u have; no rocket science.
True, it's just so many people who do 4u seem to have already completed the entire 2u course in Year 11 I was just wondering if it was heavily recommended. I'm not sure yet what level of Maths I'll be doing for the HSC but I guess it can't hurt to learn ahead of 2u as I will at least be doing that next year.

Thanks.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Amazing. u r very bright !
Year 12 3 unit isn't really a big course. Most of it are just harder concepts of 2 unit. Inverse Functions and the Binomial Theorem are the only new topics so it is very possible to finish the entire 3 unit Year 12 course in one term if you already finished the entire 2 unit course.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
I've almost finished the 2 unit course for Year 12. I just got to do the applications of calculus to the physical world and then I'm done.

2 unit isn't that hard. It took me about 4 months to get this far.

ibrian

HSC
i would recommend finishing it in year 11. if youre happy with your 2u mark in year 11, u can just focus on 3u and/or 4u in yr 12. if not, u kinda get another bite of the cherry and re-do it again in year 12.
all this was capable because of the acc program in school + tuition. goodluck

pillar

HSC
i would recommend finishing it in year 11. if youre happy with your 2u mark in year 11, u can just focus on 3u and/or 4u in yr 12. if not, u kinda get another bite of the cherry and re-do it again in year 12.
all this was capable because of the acc program in school + tuition. goodluck
Haha I wish, my school doesn't allow us to accelerate subjects and sit HSC exams in Year 11 which sucks. Even if they did, I'm not sure if I could even finish the course and actually have time for past papers etc..

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
for me i didnt do ANY accelleration in math in any way or form in yr 11, be it at skool, at home, or with a tutor ( i didnt have one )

and right now i have found it fairly simple to push on ahead.....however i STRONGLY advise that you move ahead ASAP, as it just makes you better later on XDD

as drongoski stated: the more you learn ahead the more advantage you have

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I've almost finished the 2 unit course for Year 12. I just got to do the applications of calculus to the physical world and then I'm done.

2 unit isn't that hard. It took me about 4 months to get this far.
Yeah 2U isn't particularly hard, neither is 3U for Year 11. Pretty much all I need to learn for 2/3U is Integration, Sequences and Series, Induction, Motion and Applications of Calc. And that's it for both 2U/3U Year 12. And it will all be done in school =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)