Mathematics bridging course (1 Viewer)

gleeek

HSC
Okay so I am currently in year 11, doing my preliminary and one of my subjects are general maths. I cannot STAND this subject. Words cannot even begin to describe my detest for it. I wish I chose advanced back a few months ago. So I was thinking, what if I drop gen maths at the end of prelim and then do a bridging course for Advanced Mathematics because its assumed knowledge if I wish to do a degree in Commerce or Economics.

Anyone please help out. My other subjects are advanced english, business studies, legal studies, modern history and ancient history.

Would this work?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Normally I would be against any sort of bridging course, especially for Mathematics. However, your situation is a bit unique.

What makes you wish to do 2U Mathematics so badly, if you already dislike General? Is it because you are finding General to be too easy?

gleeek

HSC
Normally I would be against any sort of bridging course, especially for Mathematics. However, your situation is a bit unique.

What makes you wish to do 2U Mathematics so badly, if you already dislike General? Is it because you are finding General to be too easy?
Precisely. Hence why I said I wish I chose advanced last year as now it's too late to change and I can't stand even a minute of general maths anymore.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you successfully demonstrate the ability and the determination, your school MAY allow you to begin the 2U course starting now, though you will have 2 terms worth of stuff to catch up on. Reason I say this is because you have missed out on Preliminary Assessments, not HSC Assessments.

Negotiate with your Head Teacher and if needed, get parents involved. Schools will do almost anything for an angry parent. Make sure to be polite!

Siddy123

HSC
prelim mathematics would be very easy to catch up on.( 2u class probably only done 3 chapters so far)
i say, work ur butt off from now till the next 2unit maths exam, ask to sit it, get a magnificent result, prove yourself and go into advanced.
a bridging course would be abit of a headache during university, but if the above solution seems unrealistic, a bridging course will suffice.

Siddy123

HSC
If you successfully demonstrate the ability and the determination, your school MAY allow you to begin the 2U course starting now, though you will have 2 terms worth of stuff to catch up on. Reason I say this is because you have missed out on Preliminary Assessments, not HSC Assessments.

Negotiate with your Head Teacher and if needed, get parents involved. Schools will do almost anything for an angry parent. Make sure to be polite!
wow! shot!
i said same thing ahaa

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
From what I recall, the bridging course only teaches the bare essentials of maths required for uni students e.g. first derivatives, second derivatives, functions, circular functions etc.

I'm not trying to come off as a pessimist but I don't think it'd be sufficient as a substitute for prelim maths.

gleeek

HSC
I see and understand all of you. I just dont think I could cope starting a new maths course all over again. My other subjects provide me with enough stress. Thanks for the replies!

Siddy123

HSC
I see and understand all of you. I just dont think I could cope starting a new maths course all over again. My other subjects provide me with enough stress. Thanks for the replies!
don't underestimate your ability.
if your motivated, you can do anything.
give it a go, you'll be thankful you did it, instead of a bridging course at university.

D4rkfang

HSC
N/A
The stuff you missed out on shouldn't be too much, as the others said, talk to your teacher about it and hopefully you can figure something out to move to advanced maths =)

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Khan Academy will really help you catch up, if you choose to rise to the challenge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)