Mathematics at Macquarie University (1 Viewer)

flamin'

O I didn't know UNSW likes to play with their marks in that way... Is there some website or some documentation I can read that says how they fix up their marks or something like that? I know that the board of studies has some kind of info on how they scale their 4 unit marks... so maybe UNSW has the same?

But I've heard industry people say that the course at UNSW is easier....

I also know (from a tutor who asked a lecturer) that those mid sems weighted 10% or whatever aren't really used in determining your final mark... well that was for a particular acst subject anyways... the lecturer said it's all done on the final and they can change how they actually weight the mid-sems, if count them at all...

Either way, employers employ on personality seeing as they love giving interviews. The company I work for just took on 2 UNSW acst grads, but only coz they were nice guys =P

lawforever

HSC
Jesus.... I dunno why ppl are so interested in other uni's actuarial education system including marking/scaling.......

It s just as simple as this. If you choose UNSW, try ur best to study, if you are in MQ, try ur best to study too. Everyone get the return of hard work no matter which uni is he in.

my point is that there is no absolute difference of difficult level btween two unis, becoz they both are accredited by IAAust and there is not much difference between 92 and 99.

flamin'

O... well, apologies for having an interest in UNSW... I guess i should have known better than not to try to compare universities that offer the same degree... I guess a HD at an ivy league college isn't really different from a HD at wollongong as long as people get their exemptions.

And to think all those HSC students wondering which uni to go to... seems pretty pointless... as well as the IAAust - they seem to like looking at the uni's for some reason...

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
lol. i didn't even do actl2001 :D. but thanks for the compliment !

- L1n -

HSC
If u want a easy way to boost ur GPA do Math130, lol i virtually did nothing the whole semester cept the compulsory assignments, did 2 days of cramming before exam and got a HD, lol this is almost as bludging as ISYS123.

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
... said:
holy shit batman

99 for acst subjects?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??
that dude should be more famous that fraser and vic.ma man...
That's pretty unbelievable.

After getting all low 90s for my subs last semester, and knowing how much work went into it, I doubt anyone could get 99 for any subject without the convener severely not applying bell-curve and allignment.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
flyin' said:
It should be noted, in an actuarial forum, that the typical first (and only) mathematics unit an actuarial student does is MATH133.

* MATH130 is a prerequisite to MATH135 is a prerequisite to MATH136.
* MATH133 is the advanced version of MATH136.
not anymore...i think from next year onwards MATH132 will be done in 1st semester, replacing COMP115/125

CrashOveride

HSC
the mq math site is down ><

i got 133 on monday. better come back soon ><

is there some person we can email and tell them to hurry up ?

^___^
HSC
haha
math132 replacing comp115/155?

thats a bit weird, what you learn in math135(and even in math132) is all high school maths..the only stuff thats new would be vectors..and congruences

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
omg great and the exams on monday... and i dont have chens notes or any tute qs... gg maths department

CrashOveride

HSC
§eraphim said:
I have 2 queries about mathematics at macquarie uni.
1. Do a lot of elite pplz do actuarial/math at Mac?
They guy who came like 3rd in 4u math got 100 in ACST211.
Jacky Poon watch out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)