• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Mathematical Induction (1 Viewer)

zlum23

HSC
The main struggle (for the more difficult questions) I have with induction is figuring out what I approach I should take when proving for n=k+1.
Are there any tips that i should keep in mind when doing these questions?

howcanibesmarter

HSC
The main struggle (for the more difficult questions) I have with induction is figuring out what I approach I should take when proving for n=k+1.
I mean essentially you just want to change the LHS algebraically into something which you can use your n=k/assumption. Then simplifying that should give you the RHS. Do you have specific examples? Usually induction questions are pretty straightforward.

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
I mean essentially you just want to change the LHS algebraically into something which you can use your n=k/assumption. Then simplifying that should give you the RHS. Do you have specific examples? Usually induction questions are pretty straightforward.
Bro not if the proof uses Combs tho 💀 😭

cossine

HSC
Unfortunately, often when you want to solve a problem, you don't what approach to take. As a result you just need to give it go. I think key thing to look out for when going through question was trick used. E.g., proof by cases, was an additional theorem used as an lemma

As a side note, you might find the following the playlist interesting. Some interesting videos on mathematical induction, including forward-backward and double mathematical induction. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?li...ylist?list=PLBiVnG9A5gcfHRbtZcfQdJuUMAS6v48uj

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)