MATH1131 (1 Viewer)

danjw

HSC
So MATH1131 has an assumed knowledge of HSC extension maths however due to the massive holiday I've pretty much forgotten all the maths I learned like ever...
What parts of the course will be most important to know in order to understand MATH1131?

GingerKid1

Banned
HSC
N/A
So MATH1131 has an assumed knowledge of HSC extension maths however due to the massive holiday I've pretty much forgotten all the maths I learned like ever...
What parts of the course will be most important to know in order to understand MATH1131?
You can basically forget binomials, probability and counting, and circle geometry.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't worry if you've forgotten, there will be tutorial exercises to help refresh your memory.

danjw

HSC
You can basically forget binomials, probability and counting, and circle geometry.
You have actually just made my night haha!
Probability and geometry both 2 unit and 3 unit are my least favourite topics by far.

GingerKid1

Banned
HSC
N/A
You still need to know two unit geometry, just not circle geometry.

danjw

HSC
Don't worry if you've forgotten, there will be tutorial exercises to help refresh your memory.
Uhh so will this be like at the start we will just refresh all of hsc or throughout the semester just whenever it comes up and we need it?

You still need to know two unit geometry, just not circle geometry.
Uhh dang oh well at least circle geometry is one less thing to worry about haha.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Uhh so will this be like at the start we will just refresh all of hsc or throughout the semester just whenever it comes up and we need it?
Pretty much. For calculus it's just a revision of the HSC course, they'll give you better definitions and all that. You'll learn some new things in Algebra.

danjw

HSC
Pretty much. For calculus it's just a revision of the HSC course, they'll give you better definitions and all that. You'll learn some new things in Algebra.
Oh sweet as, is it a hard course compared to hsc level?

amour

Female
HSC
oh god, same! i've forgotten all of 2u maths and hsc chem too. ):

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Don't worry. I'm available to provide 1-on-1 tuition for Maths 1131 & 1141 and later on 1231/1241.

danjw

HSC
1131? Not really. Some bits are hard, some bits are easy.
Okay sounds good, I'm just getting nervous because yeah feels like i've forgotten everything from the hsc entirely haha, I'm sure once I get into it again though it'll be fine.
Thanks for replies guys.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Binomials, probability & counting will all be used. Not sure about circle geom though.

TheStallion

HSC
I dunno what bleakarcher and soloooooo are on about, name one time that probability was used in MATH1131... it's a 1231 topic yeah, not 1131.

Binomial theorem is used in a really limited way, it's at most going to be used in maybe 3/100 marks in the final exam, and it won't be a question on its own, it'll be a de moivres theorem expansion or something.

Circle geometry, again, it's really basic, nowhere near as hard and no dedicated questions. The hardest shit you'll need to remember is literally x^2+y^2=r^2 and polar coordinates i.e x=rcos(θ) and y=rsin(θ) and then easy trig identities from 2 unit. Recognising a polar graph and relating it to the equation of the graph is in there as well.

Double angle formule and stuff like that probably wont come up in MATH1131, I definitely remember using them in 1231 in some small way, but not 1131.

MATH1131 is a relatively easy course for someone who did 3u and/or 4u maths to pass. Don't freak out man, the course notes are really good for first year maths as well.

Last edited:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I dunno what bleakarcher and soloooooo are on about, name one time that probability was used in MATH1131... it's a 1231 topic yeah, not 1131.
Well most people that do 1131 will them follow on and do 1231 in the next semester, so yeah...

Binomial theorem is used in a really limited way, it's at most going to be used in maybe 3/100 marks in the final exam, and it won't be a question on its own, it'll be a de moivres theorem expansion or something.
What about the statistics component (or is that 1231)?

MATH1131 is a relatively easy course for someone who did 3u and/or 4u maths to pass. Don't freak out man, the course notes are really good for first year maths as well.
The notes are good although it's still not easy in my opinion.

danjw

HSC

Circle geometry, again, it's really basic, nowhere near as hard and no dedicated questions. The hardest shit you'll need to remember is literally x^2+y^2=r^2 and polar coordinates i.e x=rcos(θ) and y=rsin(θ) and then easy trig identities from 2 unit. Recognising a polar graph and relating it to the equation of the graph is in there as well.

Double angle formule and stuff like that probably wont come up in MATH1131, I definitely remember using them in 1231 in some small way, but not 1131.

Oh great thanks heaps! But yeah I guess obviously when asking a question related to difficulty it will be very subjective so I understand where soloooooo is coming from to, thanks for all the information though you shall be repped!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
The stats component of MATH1231/1241 is like an add on section to fill in time. The only question I got related to probability and statistics in my final exam used a tree diagram.

I kid you not. Year 7 probability tree diagrams in my Higher Maths 1B exam paper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)