Math Rankings (1 Viewer)

...xD

HSC
I just asked for my extension 1 rankings and they're atrocious. For task 1 it was 60/78 but then it gets worse; I bombed task 2 horribly and got 70/78 (our school only gives individual rankings so idk about overall rank). We get approximately 45- 50% band 6s every year, and although I will try harder either way, would it still be possible for me to pull myself back to around the median, considering we still have trials + term 2 assessments to go?

I need that juicy atar to get me into the course I want to study lol but its really confusing to gauge where i'm at now as the cohorts for half my subjects are < 10 people so like I literally don't know.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Generally speaking, since the combined weighting of an assessment plus a trial exam for a subject is likely to be significant, it would be reasonable to suggest that with favourable performance, a rank improvement such as this is possible. While it is essential, favourable performance is not the only factor that will determine whether such an improvement is possible.

The other factor is the performance/competitiveness of your peers. The fact that approximately 45-50% of students at your school achieve band 6's each year means that you are part of an academically capable cohort. This can make it challenging to make significant rank improvements since many of your peers would also be doing their utmost to perform well, allowing them to either maintain or improve their current position. Of course, while this is a relevant factor, you have no control over it and this is the reason that you should not worry about it. Instead, you should focus on the element that you fully control, and that is your own performance. As you mentioned, you should do your best to thoroughly prepare for your assessment tasks/exams and aim to maximise your performance across your subjects. With a bit of luck, you will hopefully be able to reach your desired position.

I hope this helps! 😄

...xD

HSC
Generally speaking, since the combined weighting of an assessment plus a trial exam for a subject is likely to be significant, it would be reasonable to suggest that with favourable performance, a rank improvement such as this is possible. While it is essential, favourable performance is not the only factor that will determine whether such an improvement is possible.

The other factor is the performance/competitiveness of your peers. The fact that approximately 45-50% of students at your school achieve band 6's each year means that you are part of an academically capable cohort. This can make it challenging to make significant rank improvements since many of your peers would also be doing their utmost to perform well, allowing them to either maintain or improve their current position. Of course, while this is a relevant factor, you have no control over it and this is the reason that you should not worry about it. Instead, you should focus on the element that you fully control, and that is your own performance. As you mentioned, you should do your best to thoroughly prepare for your assessment tasks/exams and aim to maximise your performance across your subjects. With a bit of luck, you will hopefully be able to reach your desired position.

I hope this helps! 😄
Thanks I'll work hard to have a chance of getting there!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)