• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Masters?! (1 Viewer)

lp

I was wondering if anyone can explain to me what are Masters?? Because I'm interested in the design field and commerce field, however my UAI is not enough to get me into commerce subject. But i was flicking through the UAC book and there was this thing at UNSW called B. Interior Architecture/ M Commerce.

1. Can anyone tell me what Masters are?
2. Can you do Masters with any degree? like a different combo?

Thanks!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by lp
1. Can anyone tell me what Masters are?
2. Can you do Masters with any degree? like a different combo?
As Melb said
also, u have to have a completed Bachelor degree to enrol in a masters degree (which are also super expensive)..some masters degrees require years of work experience in that particular field

Masters are not combo degrees or anything like that - its a degree u take after u have a bachelor degree - what those courses are at UNSW are accelerated masters, ie, if ur grades are good enough in ur bachelor degree, u are accelerated into the masters degree as soon as u graduate (after completing some subjects in ur bachelor degree)

lp

thanks...

um... what i mean in "combo" is similar to the B. Interior Architect/ M Commerce like can you do a design course and do your master in another course?! for example like B. Interior Architect in UNSW belongs in the FBE while Commerce is in the Faculty of Commerce. Can you do your masters from another faculty? er..hope u get wat i mean... ;)

Link

Originally posted by melbournian
Masters are either a one year coursework or thesis postgrad course.
Masters are usually 2 years if they involve coursework anyway.

Then there are interesting combos like the Doctor of Clinical Psychology/Master of Science (Psychology), which go for 3 years, but you come out as a doctor :) (and no, not a Ph.D 'doctor').

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by ...
after master, u get into PhD??
If u choose to further ur research, yes
a friend from work has spent the last 8 years at uni, finished the HSC in 1996, did a bachelor degree in biomed engineering, then did a masters in that field for 2 years, and now has spent the last 2 years (and next year) doing his Ph.D..so it takes awhile - cos to get a Ph.D, u have to research and publish an original area (something noone has done before)

Originally posted by lp
um... what i mean in "combo" is similar to the B. Interior Architect/ M Commerce like can you do a design course and do your master in another course?! for example like B. Interior Architect in UNSW belongs in the FBE while Commerce is in the Faculty of Commerce. Can you do your masters from another faculty? er..hope u get wat i mean... ;)
yes u can, but not in that way...u can only do that if thats part of the course (like the B.Int.Arch/MCom)
some Masters u can do without any prior knowledge in that field (ie coursework masters), but some masters require a bachelor degree in that field, and sometimes work experience (like 3 years)

Dingo

Banned
I am the master of all forums, and you are the slave.
i am also known as the e-genghiskhan
So far i have conquered 2 entire uni forums on this website.

1. UWS forums
2. University - Gerneral Forums
and im planning to take ova uts and usyd next step.

peace^^

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Dingo
I am the master of all forums, and you are the slave.
i am also known as the e-genghiskhan
So far i have conquered 2 entire uni forums on this website.

1. UWS forums
2. University - Gerneral Forums
and im planning to take ova uts and usyd next step.

peace^^
not if I delete all ur posts first

Dingo

Banned
there is no need Minai, i have stopped my conquering of forums, after jase has consulted me, and i now have retreated my e-selfarmy back to my cave.

peace^^

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Dingo is spamming with postin last in every thread and Minai is warning him

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)