Master of commerce at USYD or UNSW (1 Viewer)

NL

HSC
I would probably say go to USYD then.

You seem to prefer that campus environment and what is worrying you is the potential opportunity costs of not going to UNSW.

I personally think UNSW has a slightly better course but its very marginal and you should go to the uni you feel you will enjoy the most. Employers will not mind which uni you got your MCom from.

Either way, you will need to raise that GPA to around the mid 70s at least if you want to get into the top firms next time round.

Try to get some related part time work or even work for free if need be to gain experience and keep your undergrad skills sharp.
Remember even degrees can go stale if not used after a few years.

I wouldn't worry too much about group work so much in post-grad, even with international students.
I found the group dynamics much better than in my undergrad days since there are a lot more mature age students and the international students continuing on are often the ones who's communication skills were good enough for them to land jobs and secure PR.

What you have to be wary of is not the international student, but the working "i'm too busy to contribute anything" student.

Last edited:

pinkfloydlsd

HSC
Great! another group of people who won't pull their weight in group work :p I guess on the flip-side though they won't be able to study as much as I will, so exams should be easier haha.

Yeah i'm definitely leaning more towards USYD. Unfortunately I won't be in Sydney for enrolment though so am having to get all the subjects and stuff organised now which is hard.

What Masters degree did you do and at which Uni? Yep i'm going to aim for a mid 70s GPA. It sounds stupid but in my undergrad degree I didn't really realise how important marks were.

While your answering all of my questions, do you know if postgraduate students can apply for summer internships or is
that only for undergrad students?

thanks for all your advice I appreciate it.

pinkfloydlsd

HSC
sweet! thanks for that. i think applications have started so guess i'll have to look into that soon. i guess they'll have to go based on my undergrad marks though.

NL

HSC
No worries!:)
Your situation seemed very familiar to me since my cuz graduated from the same MacU bachelor degree you did about 4 years ago, although with an accounting major, and went through the same "search" as you are going through now.

I'm about halfway through my EMBA at UNSW AGSM. Approaching the back end of the GDM stage. I work in marketing and have a digital media bachelors from UNSW.

You get all sorts in the MBA program since a undergrad business degree is not a requirement. Certainly makes for quite an interesting cohort group. Its a good networking environment though since the basic pre-req is to have 2 year experience in a managerial position.

They do make exceptions though. One of my friends is probably the youngest person in the EMBA program at 25. She only has 3 years working experience but her GMAT scores were intimidating so they gave her an exemption.

I have to agree with the assessment of a significant proportion of the international students. Nice people, but hard to work with in groups.
I'm asian and even I don't know whats going on with them half the time!

The_Doctor

HSC
Going to be there this coming sem. I have signed up for the Masters of Commerce (extn), if you need to look it up its program code 8417 I think.

One reason why I opted for this is the reputation(or should I say recognition?) of this uni outside of the Oz markets. I think it has a fair reputation in S.E.Asia after the Monash factories.

Would be good to hear from anyone who has experience with this course. General potshots are welcome too ;)

lawstudent

HSC
now i know this has been posted a hundred times...all over this forum....but im looking for specific advice. So i've been given offers to Master of commerce at USYD or master of commerce/economics at UNSW.

I feel that USYD would b a better 'fit' in regards to the social life, travel etc. bc quite frankly if i wanted to be surrounded by asian students that can't speak english i would go to a university in Asia...not UNSW...don't have anything against asian people...just don't want to feel like an outsider! However, I have heard that the master of commerce/economics (at UNSW) is an excellent degree and allows u to undertake 3 majors...my dilemma therefore is...is the USYD master of commerce a good degree?

When i refer to 'good degree' i am mostly looking at it from an employability perspective after graduation???

thanks for any advice
Both commerce faculties have HEAPS of asians, so you're fucked either way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)