Massively Multiplayer Online Gaming Questionnaire! :) :) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thismodernage

HSC
Hi all, sorry this is so lengthy, but if you could reply in a private message that would be fantastic. Cheers :)
Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game
(MMORPG)​
QUESTIONNAIRE​
Hi, my name is Amy J and I am undertaking research on Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Gamers for my Society and Culture major project. Please answer the following questions honestly, all answers you supply will remain anonymous and confidential. I greatly appreciate your time and effort, Thank You!!!

How old are you? ___
What sex are you? Male/Female
What MMORPG do you mostly play? (i.e. World of Warcraft, Runescape etc.)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Why do you play these one(s)?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Why did you start playing multi-player online games?
__________________________________________________________________________________
Why do you play MMORPGs instead of other games?
What kind of avatar do you usually play?
Why did you choose this avatar?
__________________________________________________________________________________
Is your avatar male or female?
Male
Female
Other __________________ (please specify)
How often do you change you avatar?
Never Rarely Sometimes Often Very Often
Why or why not do you change your avatar?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Approximately, how often do you play online games per week?
1-2 times 3-4 times 5-6 times everyday

How often do you neglect real-life responsibilities (such as chores or homework) to play the game?
Do you think you could stop playing completely if you wanted to?
Yes/no
How often do you lie about your gaming habits to your family or friends?
Why? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
How often do you think about playing the game when you are offline?
How important to you are your in-game friendships compared to your current relationships with offline friends?
My online and offline relationships are equally important
My online relationships are more important to me
My offline relationships are more important to me
On a scale of 1-5, how important is keeping a promise or an agreement with an online friend? (Such as meeting up on the game at a certain time)
1= Very important, 5= Not important at all
1 2 3 4 5
How important is keeping a promise or an agreement with an offline friend? (Such as meeting up to go to the movies at a certain time)
1 2 3 4 5
Do you feel a sense of escape from offline pressures and hassles (e.g. work pressures, school work, stress etc.) when you are playing online games?
Yes/no
Do you belong to a group (guild, clan etc.) when you play an online game?
Yes/No
Why/how did you come to be in the group that you are in?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Do you feel more comfortable with being yourself when you are offline compared to when you are online? Yes/No
Why? ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Do you act differently around people online than you would if you were offline?
Why/why not?
Is it easier to make friends online than offline? Yes/No
Why? ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If online gaming wasn’t social would you still play?
Yes/no
Have your sleeping patterns changed because of your gaming habits?
Yes/No
Do you ever feel guilty for playing online games?
Rate each of the following in terms of importance to your personal gaming experience:
1= Very Important, 5= Not important at all
To have fun
1 2 3 4 5
To fight other players
1 2 3 4 5
To talk to offline friends on the game
1 2 3 4 5
To meet new people and chat
1 2 3 4 5
To be a part of my group (guild/clan etc.)
1 2 3 4 5
To escape the pressures of real-life
1 2 3 4 5
To be cool
1 2 3 4 5
To annoy my family/friends
1 2 3 4 5
To be someone different to who I am in real-life
1 2 3 4 5
To acquire wealth
1 2 3 4 5
To acquire status
1 2 3 4 5
To role-play
1 2 3 4 5
To be accepted
1 2 3 4 5
To kill things
1 2 3 4 5
To get to higher levels
1 2 3 4 5
To meets potential love interests
1 2 3 4 5
Are there any other reasons why you play multi-player online games? (please write below)
Do you play online games more with people you already knew from real-life or people you have met from the game?
More with people from real-life
More with people I have met on the game
About equally

How accepted by other players do you feel when you are playing the game?
1= Very Accepted, 5= Not accepted at all
1 2 3 4 5
Have you suffered any negative consequences from playing games? i.e. losing offline friends, increased stress, problems with school/job etc.
Yes/No
If yes, what are they?
Have your offline relationships been impacted by your game-play?
Yes/no
How?
Did you or others notice any personality changes after you started playing online games?
Yes/No
If yes, what were they?

Does your age effect whom you talk to on the game?
Why does or doesn’t age effect who you talk to?
Does your gender effect whom you talk to on the game?
Why does or doesn’t gender effect who you talk to?
Does the appearance of your avatar (gender, clothes etc.) effect whom you talk to on the game?
Do you know much about who the people you have met on the game are in real life?
Yes/No
What kind of information do you know? (job, age etc.)
On a scale of 1-5, how much do you reveal about your real-life self to others on the game?
1= I reveal almost everything about who I am offline
5= Most other people I play with no little to nothing about who I am in real-life
1 2 3 4 5
Why?
On a scale of 1-5, how high is your self-esteem?
1= Very high, 5= Very low
1 2 3 4 5
Do you think playing online games has affected your self-esteem in any way?
Yes/No
Why/Why not?
What do you think are the major things that effect another player’s impressions of you on the game? (wealh, level etc.)
Besides online gaming, what are some other leisure activities/hobbies/interests that you are involved in? (i.e. football, reading)
Do you consider yourself addicted to MMORPGs?
Yes No

Ninty9Point95

HSC
How old are you? 17

What sex are you? Female

What MMORPG do you mostly play? (i.e. World of Warcraft, Runescape etc.)
Runscape

got addicted lol - its something you can like have a 5 min break on or spend hours, its fun, you meet people etc

haha i was young it was boredom relief.. actually.. that hasnt changed much, its fun though =)

its fun like being a character and you meet people - i have many mmorpg players on msn etc

just normal - girl, pale skin, i change my hair a lot - blonde, white, red, blue. runescape doesnt have like 'races' otherwise in like wow id be an elf theyre classy, wise, good lookng etc

most of it is me i try not to overdo it, the hair coz its fun to change and like well i suppose in society not many people have blue hair

Male
Female

Sometimes

change is good

depends on the week - about 4-6

How often do you neglect real-life responsibilities (such as chores or homework) to play the game?
Often

yes if i found something to replace it - i reckon in a couple of yrs ill get over it, for now not

Sometimes
Why? the rents say i play too much, to friends coz occasionally i prefer to play than go out with them

Often

How important to you are your in-game friendships compared to your current relationships with offline friends?

On a scale of 1-5, how important is keeping a promise or an agreement with an online friend? (Such as meeting up on the game at a certain time)
4 - a couple of yrs ago that would have been a 2 im older now

How important is keeping a promise or an agreement with an offline friend? (Such as meeting up to go to the movies at a certain time)

Do you feel a sense of escape from offline pressures and hassles (e.g. work pressures, school work, stress etc.) when you are playing online games?
Yes

Yes
friend introduced me - we do like stuff which can be of benefit to me - well.. my character hah .. money items etc

Do you feel more comfortable with being yourself when you are offline compared to when you are online? No
Why? no one knows you online in real life

Rarely
Why/why not?
i try not to, i dont need to impress people, but sometimes you add things/omitt things.. i suppose its natural

Is it easier to make friends online than offline? Yes/
Why? your common interests are much more.. like i like mining in runescape not something deep like im an animal conservationist.. meh

Yes

not now but some years ago they did - but only a bit nothing major

Often

Rate each of the following in terms of importance to your personal gaming experience:
To have fun
To fight other players
To be cool
To acquire wealth

To acquire status
To role-play
To be accepted
To kill things
To get to higher levels
Are there any other reasons why you play multi-player online games? (please write below)
runescapes like medieval - its cool:ninja:

Do you play online games more with people you already knew from real-life or people you have met from the game?

Have you suffered any negative consequences from playing games? i.e. losing offline friends, increased stress, problems with school/job etc.
Yes
If yes, what are they?
well not so much now but yeah at one point i think i became a bit anti-soc and haha i didnt do anything but play for like weeks i put on a bit of weight and my confidence fell a bit but again nothing like super serious

not really..

Did you or others notice any personality changes after you started playing online games?
YesIf yes, what were they?
as said before a bit anti-soc but i think its worn off

Often
talking to 10 yr olds is annoying, theyre immature, also as ive gotten older i take games less seriously etc

Never
whats the difference what gender they/i am__

Does the appearance of your avatar (gender, clothes etc.) effect whom you talk to on the game?
nope i think its irrelevant even online poeple judge your personality - maybe in WoW its diff? dnoe

Do you know much about who the people you have met on the game are in real life?
Yes

age, gender, location, then just random bits - family, job - whatever they tell i personally dont really question

On a scale of 1-5, how much do you reveal about your real-life self to others on the game?
5= Most other people I play with no little to nothing about who I am in real-life
Why?
gotta be carefull online

2-3

haha bit repetiive - i think maybe it did but ive been playing for like 5 yrs so not now no
Why/Why not?
i think its your view on life the fact that its an mmorpg doesnt matter and im not a big phony making up my whole life online i keep it real

What do you think are the major things that effect another player’s impressions of you on the game? (wealh, level etc.)
wealth and yeah level

Besides online gaming, what are some other leisure activities/hobbies/interests that you are involved in? (i.e. football, reading)
reading, cycling, soccer, being with friends, lots of sci fi lol

Yes ..
</SPAN>

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Hi all, sorry this is so lengthy, but if you could reply in a private message that would be fantastic. Cheers :)
Massively Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game
(MMORPG)​
QUESTIONNAIRE​
Hi, my name is Amy J and I am undertaking research on Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Gamers for my Society and Culture major project. Please answer the following questions honestly, all answers you supply will remain anonymous and confidential. I greatly appreciate your time and effort, Thank You!!!

How old are you? 100
What sex are you? Male
What MMORPG do you mostly play?
None, I'm a proper human being.

I don't. They are not even worth playing.

There were people out there who existed for me to defeat.

I play other games instead of MMORPGs because of their inability to offer fun.

The games I play don't require an avatar because I don't need to exaggerate myself.

I didn't need one.

N/A

Never

The games I play don't require an avatar because I don't need to exaggerate myself.

1-2 timesy

Never

Yes

Why?
Because I am not a hypocrite like a typical MMORPG gamer.

1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5
Yes/no
Yes/No
I don't need to associate with lowlives.

Do you feel more comfortable with being yourself when you are offline compared to when you are online? Yes/No
Why?

Because I don't need to deal with scum online who were beaten and are only worth beating.

Why/why not?
The typical player is a piece of scum.

Yes/no
Yes/No
To have fun
1 2 3 4 5
To fight other players
1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5
To be cool
1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5
To acquire wealth
1 2 3 4 5
To acquire status
1 2 3 4 5
To role-play
1 2 3 4 5
To be accepted
1 2 3 4 5
To kill things
1 2 3 4 5
To get to higher levels
1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5
The best medium to attack people. At least they aren't being showered with 7.62 mm bullets in real life.

More with people from real-life
About equally

1 2 3 4 5
Yes/No

Yes/no
How?
Yes/No
If yes, what were they?

Your typical online gamer is a prepubescent kid who needs a lesson or needs to lose weight.

I can impersonate a female as I wish to instigate trouble or chaos.

Why would I need an avatar to exaggerate my identify?
Look at my rank on my insignia.
Lieutenant say much?

Yes/No
I don't care about them.
1 2 3 4 5
Why?
Those lowlives don't need to know anything. They exist and only exist for me to defeat them.
1 2 3 4 5
Yes/No
Why/Why not?
I am fine with killing lots of people.
Just because you are a Level 55 General with a golden Desert Eagle pistol doesn't mean you are unstoppable.

Exercise. Exercise. Exercise.
Yes No

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)