Marketing/Accounting questions (1 Viewer)

Reliability

HSC
N/A
1. Would it be good idea to major in Marketing and Accounting if I don't mind working in either of these areas as I find both areas interesting and important in my future career progression?

2. Would it be pretty much impossible to get a job in Marketing since I've read that it is useless alone (assuming accounting does not compliment it) and is Accounting useless when alone and not combined with something like finance?

3. Are there any marketing roles that also incorporate accounting knowledge?

4. Should i just forget about Marketing/Accounting and go for Accounting/Finance because I heard a Marketing major isn't necessary and the skills can be picked up as you go?

I am just worried that with a Marketing/Accounting double major, employers won't really see the correlation and hence when job searching they will look at each major independently (eg. so when applying for marketing jobs, Marketing/Psychology graduate would be more appealing than just a single Marketing major graduate which would leave me unemployed; when applying for accounting jobs, an accounting/finance would appeal more than accounting single major). If you understood what i just said, Is this true?

Thanks. Although I am worried I won't get anywhere with this double major, i feel that these 2 majors can help me manage my own business in the future.

aounet

HSC
1. Would it be good idea to major in Marketing and Accounting if I don't mind working in either of these areas as I find both areas interesting and important in my future career progression?

2. Would it be pretty much impossible to get a job in Marketing since I've read that it is useless alone (assuming accounting does not compliment it) and is Accounting useless when alone and not combined with something like finance?

3. Are there any marketing roles that also incorporate accounting knowledge?

4. Should i just forget about Marketing/Accounting and go for Accounting/Finance because I heard a Marketing major isn't necessary and the skills can be picked up as you go?

I am just worried that with a Marketing/Accounting double major, employers won't really see the correlation and hence when job searching they will look at each major independently (eg. so when applying for marketing jobs, Marketing/Psychology graduate would be more appealing than just a single Marketing major graduate which would leave me unemployed; when applying for accounting jobs, an accounting/finance would appeal more than accounting single major). If you understood what i just said, Is this true?

Thanks. Although I am worried I won't get anywhere with this double major, i feel that these 2 majors can help me manage my own business in the future.
I don't know who you are, but I have the EXACT same problem you do and was about to ask the EXACT same questions on this forum.
(I would like to know too...)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
1. No reason not to.

2. Accounting is fine by itself as long as you get accredited. Marketing is fine on it's own, but you should work out something you want to apply it to and work on projects in that area.

3. Yes, particularly if you work in the finance sector, or plan on getting into research/data

4. Good marketing is a lot harder than people give it credit for. You could just as easily pick up accounting or finance as you went.

Psych isn't as useful for marketing as people think. Mkt/Accy would be just as good.

Reliability

HSC
N/A
1. No reason not to.

2. Accounting is fine by itself as long as you get accredited. Marketing is fine on it's own, but you should work out something you want to apply it to and work on projects in that area.

3. Yes, particularly if you work in the finance sector, or plan on getting into research/data

4. Good marketing is a lot harder than people give it credit for. You could just as easily pick up accounting or finance as you went.

Psych isn't as useful for marketing as people think. Mkt/Accy would be just as good.
I am entering my penultimate year and I believe this will only allow me to complete 1 internship as they generally all occur over the same period. Since this will limit me to getting an internship, in the occasion that i change my mind in working either accounting or marketing, which would be more viable for transitioning:

- do an accounting internship and apply for marketing grad roles (this would increase chances of working in accounting but would this destroy my chances of working in marketing since i have no experience in the marketing field?)

or

- do a marketing internship and apply for accounting grad roles (this would increase chances of working in marketing but would this diminish my chances of working in big 4 accounting if i have no experience?)

???

I think im more inclined towards getting a marketnig internship but wouldn't my lack of experience in the accounting field make my accounting major pretty much worthless when applying for grad roles within the big 4? (im assuming that people with accounting internships would stand out alot more than I who will have a marketing internship)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You've gotten yourself into a head space a lot of students do, and you need to get out of it. You can do more than one internship in this time period, you just have to hunt them down. Look for flexibility and diversify. There's heaps of small scale operations that do internships all throughout the year. Apply for everything you can, and take what you can get.

Look for projects you can apply your skills to. You need to be actively applying your skills now. Want to do marketing? Help someone market a project. Want to do accounting? Help out a start up? Want both? Set something up yourself. Don't wait just for internships, and certainly don't wait for jobs.

Don't think of it as Graduate Jobs and Big 4. Think Jobs and Industry. Because you're limiting yourself now by thinking in those terms.

As for what is more useful, that depends on your career path. A marketer with accounting skills, or an accountant with marketing skills. Which sounds more appealing. Assuming all things equal, Marketing Internship is probably more useful, because marketing requires 'more than the degree' more than accounting. That doesn't necessarily make it the better option, that depends on your goal. But basically, you should be going for everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)