marketing/accounting is that just wrong? (1 Viewer)

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
hey, i really wanna do a marketing major, but i keep gettin this feelin that it wont take me to far, cause hopefully i would eventually like to get into somesort of executive position. so would also studying along with my marketing major a accounting or finance(which one u reckon would u think be more suitable for me) major, increase my chances and i also read in other threads that it gives/opens up more opportunities(im just curious , wat opportunities and can u be more specific about them). or overall is the combination just a bad idea, and if it is can someone suggest me a double major combination that would give me opprotunities in my career...... sorry bout the long question, im just really confused right now =( .....thanx

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Any double major is going to give you plenty of opportunities. Only doing one major is going to lead to fewer opportunities.

I find them both kind of boring to be honest. i'm only doing accounting for the job opportunities (and also finance because i like it more). i was considering t=doing a marketing minor but the one unit i've done has been shite. It seems like a lot of memorising of really obvious things with silly new names...

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
slinky said:
hey, i really wanna do a marketing major, but i keep gettin this feelin that it wont take me to far, cause hopefully i would eventually like to get into somesort of executive position. so would also studying along with my marketing major a accounting or finance(which one u reckon would u think be more suitable for me) major, increase my chances and i also read in other threads that it gives/opens up more opportunities(im just curious , wat opportunities and can u be more specific about them). or overall is the combination just a bad idea, and if it is can someone suggest me a double major combination that would give me opprotunities in my career...... sorry bout the long question, im just really confused right now =( .....thanx
The company that I work for has just as many sales & marketing ppl as it has finance people (and the marketing ppl dont work as difficult hours). Marketing and accounting are both really good areas to study because they are both in high demand. Just do a double major (as was suggested earlier in this thread) . . .its twice as fun.

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
thanx for the replies so far ppl, and yeh keep them comin as i need as much opinions i can get, and yeh im probably gonna do a double major with one major being marketing, and i just couldnt decide which other major was more beneficial to complement my marketing major, which was either finance, acctg, advertising or management, or anything else anyone would have suggested to be useful and beneficial.

slinky said:
thanx for the replies so far ppl, and yeh keep them comin as i need as much opinions i can get, and yeh im probably gonna do a double major with one major being marketing, and i just couldnt decide which other major was more beneficial to complement my marketing major, which was either finance, acctg, advertising or management, or anything else anyone would have suggested to be useful and beneficial.
a lot of people i know who are doing a marketing major are also doing a finance major. But then again it could possibly be due to their hate of accounting!

Have you seen the career centre at your uni for advice?

theone123

blue essence
HSC
marketing is all about essays, accounting is about right or wrong, take your pick... :D

stazi

Nightman
HSC
karpov said:
industrial relations major good for you
IR won't get you anywhere in marketing :p It has little to do with anything in marketing. HRM is a safer bet if you want that kind of angle.

PR is very good to do if your uni offers it
Alternatively, believe it or not Psychology is highly favoured in many positions

Not sure why accounting is being suggested so much. I can't really see many links between them. Creativity vs maths.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
slinky said:
Best Advice do something you like, as will you be able to put in 100hr+ weeks doing something you hate? If not forget about becoming a senior exec.
Find something you like and excel at it, contrary to what you & alot of others might think not everyone at the top acually even went to uni.

S

Shuter

natstar said:
Ive done no essays in marketing, only short answer response. There are right and wrong answers.
I think it comes down to whether you are good at maths, or good at communicating
Or good at both..

maddison10

HSC
N/A
just a clarification
accounting has very very little to do with maths at all
both accounting and finance are very practical major and degrees and lead to alot of job opportunities, really do wateva u like more or dislike less

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
maddison10 said:
just a clarification
accounting has very very little to do with maths at all
both accounting and finance are very practical major and degrees and lead to alot of job opportunities, really do wateva u like more or dislike less
Yeah i was thinking Accounting isnt very maths based, but i thought that maybe later on in further units it does go quite a bit into maths

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
Marketing = lying weasel
Accounting = boring sloth

Therefore, Marketing/Accounting = boring, lying slothsel.

Yep, I think it's fair to say that Marketing/Accounting IS just wrong.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
natstar said:
We do not lie
wow you really are daft.
i do first year marketing and i can already see where people lie to sell their products.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
natstar said:
From what ive experienced of accounting its very maths based. I hated it. One of my good friends is 3rd year accounting and she said its very maths based.
How much maths is involved but, like seriously what units is that in? Cause so far its only been some adding, subtracting, multiplication, division & Algebra

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
natstar said:
She was not specific in what maths tey did, but she said it did involve a lot of maths. I think she does Financial Planning and Corporate accounting or soemthing
Yeah I was think about taking those units, so I would be interested to find out what maths is involved

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)