Marie-Antoinette (1 Viewer)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
New trailer's out, apparently only released in for French, with English subtitles. This is the first trailer that's actually included some of the dialogue. It looks like, from some of the last few shots shown, that this film will take us towards, or right to the end of her life after all.

walrusbear

HSC
ach

she copied wes anderson
used new order - ceremony in the trailer!

the first teaser had new order in it too

for some reason i'm not looking forward to this one. i loved lost in translation but something about this project looks faulty. possibly kirsten dunst's involvement...
i wonder what the french think of this anyway?? is sophia coppola popular over there?

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
She wasn't bad in Virgin Suicides though... I think the casting is fine if Sofia is trying to portray a naive Marie Antoinette

<3 the New Order music :p

Last edited:

icecreamdisco

HSC
honestly, i think this'll be a disaster. everything about the trailer rubs me in the wrong way, except for judy davis, who's awesome in everything. i still have much love for lost in translation, but i watched the virgin suicides again recently and was surprised by how much i disliked it. jury's still out on sofia, i guess...

it's been submitted to cannes, so we'll see in a few weeks what the general consensus is.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I had my doubts about Kirsten Dunst as Marie-Antoinette before I saw the trailers, but now I'm actually becoming convinced that she's a solid choice. Dunst is obviously an actress who Sofia likes to work with. I think she strikes the right notes for the same theme Sofia keeps coming back to- the vulnerability of a strong willed young woman facing adversity. The one major pitfall I think she might struggle with here is making a period drama work in the same way her other 2 films have (although I had my own doubts about The Virgin Suicides as well).

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Yeah a bit disappointed to find out yesterday morning that it didn't do so well at the 8:30 screening. Still looking forward to it though.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Any chance it might've received a somewhat harsher reception because it's France?

walrusbear

HSC
that imdb thingie says the french public isn't the enemy, but general critics :p

icecreamdisco

HSC
maybe they were saying "boo-urns"!

seriously, cannes audiences booing is no big deal; dancer in the dark and pulp fiction were notoriously booed when they were screened and then won big prizes later that week. i doubt m-a is on the level of those films but the early US reviews seem more mixed than negative.

speaking of which, richard kelly's southland tales has already been panned by just about everyone, most of which say it's a potential career-killer and from andrew o'hehir at salon.com, "the biggest, ugliest mess i've seen". i'm really curious about it now...

walrusbear

HSC
yes i was also going to comment, richard kelly has also suffered

i'm curious to know... donnie darko was quite likable before it exploded

salon.com is also worth reading. i either entirely agree or disagree

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I wonder who those few who are hailing it as a masterpiece are.

icecreamdisco

HSC
Benny_ said:
I wonder who those few who are hailing it as a masterpiece are.
j. hoberman & amy taubin of the village voice did (the former said there's been nothing like it in american cinema since mulholland drive), and there've been quite a few people who recommend it just because of how bizarre and ambitious it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)