Mao's last dancer (novel) help? Related text (1 Viewer)

loong21

HSC
I am doing Mao's last dancer as my related test for standard english.
In talking about my text in my first assessment, I do not know how to relate the concept of belonging to this text. If anyone has any idea's that would be greatly appreciated.
Aswell as that, I am going to talk about the few fables evident in the novel (Grasshopper, Frog), when talking about this do I label them as extended metaphors, allegories, etc? and am I even aloud to talk about it, as it they are actually not his own work?
Thankyou so mcuh!

essayqueen

HSC
N/A
Hi there :) What is your assessment task? Is it an essay? I'd be happy to help if you give me some more info :)

moocow920

HSC
I used the film version as my related for AOS, but I was advanced. I did not personally use the fables so that's something you might have to ask your teacher, but yes you would definitely be allowed to use them because they are part of the text.

I personally chose a range of specific scenes and did detailed analysis on these scenes, and then picked out of those scenes which I would use for each essay depending on the question. There are lots of types of belonging you can discuss, eg familial belonging - his relationship with his family, the negative impact on being separated from them and the positive impact of them being reunited, cultural - the cultural differences in America and how this impacts his ability to belong, barriers to belonging caused by language differences or racism, and as you pick out individual scenes or references you will be able to identify more

loong21

HSC
The Simple Gift, by Steven Herrick.
And no, we have to do a speech (related texts + prescribed text), and a booklet type thing (response of only the related texts)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)