Mao's Last Dancer as a supp text? (1 Viewer)

harrietty

HSC
Opinions..? I'm thinking about using it as a supp to Romulus, My Father as they are both about countries and relationships etc.
And the film or the book? I kind of want a different text type..

HSC
N/A
Decent text, but very common. If you decide to go ahead with it, keep in mind that your analysis needs to stand out. Consider taking a different perspective, or focusing on scenes or characters that are less usually focused upon. Otherwise, analysis needs to be superb - depending on what kind of mark you're aiming for, of course - to make a good impression.

Go with the film, otherwise both of your texts will be quite similar (biographical memoir/autobiography), particularly if they specify just one related text. That way you can also utilise (or show off) a wider variety of techniques.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I adore the novel personally, the film is okay (ballet dancer myself).

That said, it is very common so your analysis must stand out. It would work well with Romulus My Father, but don't feel confined to pick something that is similar in plot to Romulus. And I understand you wanting to use different text types, I regret using two novels for Mod C, felt my other essays were better because the different text types lent to showing your variety and sophisticated identification of a wider range of techniques.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)