• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Man I hate finding quotes in R&G (1 Viewer)

judi_rudential

HSC
Don't u hate it when u now wat u want to talk about but can't find any supporting evidence? =(

In Stoppard’s time the conventions of the past had broken down and the ideal of revenge was no longer seen to be relevant or to have an impact on society “quote”.

Someone help plz

HSC
N/A
Well, how about the fact that R&G is downright confusing... typical 60s movement, destabalising everything... actually, quite post-modern, when i come to think of it. sorry I can't help you more! I suck at R&G/Hamlet!!!

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
what is this impact on society thing your talking about???
our teacher said the things we need to look at are
illusion vs reality
self gain
death
function or purpose
etc
does anyone have any good quotes on these besides the obvious?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Yeah, those are the things you look at but think about it. Everyone in the state (who is doing R&G/Hamlet) will be yammering on about illusion vs reality, death blah blah blah (the crap that forms 99% of Excel). The more outstanding responses will appropriate the issues into the progression of society whilst also apply the concepts to the nature of humanity IN ADDITION to the above mentioned things.

miffytoki

HSC
i'ld link revenge to christianity...wasn't revenge a concern for the time cos it was all like "who are you to judge?"....bring in the disollutionment of religion and link it to the postmodern age where existentialism has been introduced...heaps of quotes on that.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
Sarah168 said:
Yeah, those are the things you look at but think about it. Everyone in the state (who is doing R&G/Hamlet) will be yammering on about illusion vs reality, death blah blah blah (the crap that forms 99% of Excel). The more outstanding responses will appropriate the issues into the progression of society whilst also apply the concepts to the nature of humanity IN ADDITION to the above mentioned things.
yep good point. now if only someone could show me how they would work that into an essay? does anyone have any quotes that support this impact on society...

HSC
N/A
*blinks*

I don't get R&G, I don't get Hamlet, I never have and probably never will.

So let's make a desperate bid to at least pass this part of the paper. How about we all post a question, and offer a bit of essay material into our "Emergency Basket". I'll go first. (Please do not copy the following paragraphs. I say this for your own good. I only got 9/20 for this part of the HSC Trials!!!!!!)

----

The notion of disintigrating morals and ways of thinking is evident in Hamlet's constant questioning. In the lines "To be or not to be" and "Seems?" it is apparent that Hamlet's world has been turned upside-down and he is forced to re-evaluate everything he believes in and everything that is said to him. This creates a sense of confusion that is echoed by the questioning, uncertain tone of the entire play, mirroring the contemporary social and economical upheavals in the play's historical context. Similarly, the uncertain, questioning nature of R&G (a contemporary remake of Shakespeare's Hamlet, which in turn is a transformation of another story) mirrors the social upheavals of the 60s in which everything was being questioned and re-evaluated.

Both plays reflect changing attitudes of the times, both in context and nature. From a Liberal Humanist perspective Shakespeare in Hamlet begins to question human nature itself. The indiscrepancies and many re-writes within the play itself suggest that Shakespeare had much difficulty in capturing his characters on paper, as if he was not sure himself of exactly who they were. Similarly in R&G, Stoppard toys with this notion, withholding a foundation or background to his "lead" characters, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. The two characters are so confused that they know not their own names, nor their purpose. Once they have played out their part - something that is never truly revealed in either Hamlet nor in R&G - they are quite literally, dead. They are useless, meaningless. It is only is the 60s that a line such as "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern...are dead!" would be appreciated for its satirical humour.

---

someone else's turn!!!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Did you omit all language techniques before you posted that?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i dunno if it helps, but when talking about christianity, Guil (i think) always mocks it with the lines

"Give us this day our daily *insert something*", is that good....arrrrgh, i hate R&G/Hamlet

HSC
N/A
Sarah-

Those two paragraphs are probably the best two I've done on Transformations all year. If I missed something, it's because I don't know it/understand it. :S

There are language techniques?

HELP!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I wasnt attacking you. It was just a question.
The whole thing could do with alot more techniques. But beside that, can you see a way to link the concept of "purposelessness" in the 2nd paragraph with the context of the 60's? By doing that, you would be on your way to fulfilling more of the syllabus components.

HSC
N/A
No it's ok - I wasn't annoyed at you, sorry if it came across that way :)

Well let's see... purposelessness as felt in R&G is directly linked to historical context - during 60s there was a strong movement towards...

man, can't write it out formally.

In a nutshell, all the ideals of the 50s and earlier were being rejected. The idea of having a specific "purpose" was also rejected and Stoppard has used this in the play but not revealing a "purpose" to his audience, or even his characters.

As for techniques...

What techniques? I don't see any!!! (aside from the word games, that links to sense of purposelessness though)

HELP!!!

lizzieee_

just simple things like rhetorical questions........ meaningless dialogue.......... blank verse...... prose...... some similar to hamlet but you have to morph them a bit. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)