Malouf - Wordsworth (1 Viewer)

Which Texts are you using for In The Wild??

• Brave New World and the Other one, (I cant remember sorry...!)

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Malouf and Wordsworth

Votes: 22 84.6%

• Total voters

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
Don't worry, I'm doing it too :( , although we haven't started yet

I have to say the book (An Imaginary Life) is the most boring book I have ever read.

lalaynie

i hate it! arrrgh!!!! stupid stupid stupid...
AND to make it worse, my half yearly is a speech on how good malouf and wordsworht are to the topic in the wild. pft.

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
I'd hate to do that! I'm so glad my half yearly was on my module B text and AOS. I haven't read wordsworth's poems...are they as boring as the book?

tempco

HSC
I would say the poems are worse. Stay away from The Prelude. You'll understand once you've read it (well, if you read it, depending on whether you take my advice seriously).

grimreaper

HSC
If the book put you to sleep, the poems will knock you out cold with boredom :eek:

lalaynie

i actually thought the poems werent as bad as the book. well they are both very very torturous, but hey...
whoever came up with the topic "in the wild" has some issues.
i just did my half yearly speech on 'the appropriateness of these two texts to the module" i wish i couldve said they were crap, but my teacher would mark me down. why dont they give us interesting things to do and things that are relelvant to our own contexts?
Stupid english teachers...

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
My english teacher told us that only 10% of the state that does advanced english do these texts...why oh why do we have to do them!!! I hate how my teacher always wants to do the texts that others aren't doing :(

Stephels

haha i'm doing it too but we're not doing it until later... i should read ahead though... but then again u guys say it's boring so maybe not! lol

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I actually like Wordsworth, he nicely conveys reactions to the expansion of the industrial world and its effect upon nature, among other things.

But oft in lonely rooms, and 'mid the din
Of towns and cities, I have owed to them
In hours of weariness, sensations sweet
-Lines Composed A Few Miles above Tintern Abbey, on revisiting the banks of the Wye during a Tour, 13th July 1798, (Catchy title too, ;))

Currently working on a uni assessment about two of his sonnets..Interesting stuff,
Haven't read Malouf,.

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
We've started on Wordsworth's poetry, and it is much more interesting than the book.

Jopet

Old Fart
HSC
I'm doing Malouf. But I am also doing BNW for 'Utopia' in ext. English. :uhhuh:

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
oh, well i think im in the minority here, but i like wordsworth
*cowers behind desk*
plz dont hurt me!!!
malouf though.
oh
my
god
the guy has issues. serious issues. obviously the only explanation is that he was high on his 'scarlet poppy'...i mean, come on, whats with the bit when he becoms the pool of water 'I am...drunk' - yes, couldnt agree more.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
lalaynie said:
Am I the only school who is dumb enough to do something so incredibly boring as Malouf and Wordsworth??
what school do u go 2? im at merewether high in newcastle - our school always chooses the hardest/most boring topics. dont think id have liked bladerunner/brave new world much though.

lalaynie

Hmmm i go to central coast grammar.... and they keep telling us that its good to do obscure texts like malouf and ww cos no one does them, but they are just a pain in the ass... altho for trials i went better than expected, so at least they are texts which you can bullshit about eh!! lol... good luck all! i feel your pain1!!

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Compared to all the other modules i do, i like Malouf/Wordsworth. Had a really good teacher for that (slight exaggeration, she wasn't that good but we were really scared of her so didn't talk). I killed that section in my trials so as long as i do good, i love it!

Bloody Lear....

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
I'm going to be subversive and say I like Malouf. I think he manages to do intellectual prose wiithout looking too pretentious. I love his descriptive passages...its the way I'd like to think sometimes. I particularly enjoyed the poppie sequence, the dream sequences and the beggining and the end (obviously...)

As for Wordsworth, pastoral Romanticism isnt really my cup of tea....but I did enjoy strange fits of passion and the solitary reaper. WW is good for the fact its really easy to deconstruct...he just utilises normal poetic structures and techniques.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
there was nothing wrong with clack tina - she WAS a good teacher. until she went psycho that is...*sigh*
i do quite like WW/Malouf - certainly prefer it to representation and truth..bloody frontline. but i prefer lear to this. heh, lalaynie is right, its damn easy to bullshit on about existential things in both of them!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)