"making up" lear interpretations (1 Viewer)

aussiechica

Hi! The q my teacher has given us is this: "image you are directing a performance of king lear and you have a particular reading of the play. Explain to the people playing the roles of the women in the play how you would like them to represent these characters to reflect the reading you have chosen. Make sure you refer in detail to specific scenes" . I know, fun fun fun.

The productions we have studied are the marxist (with which the text was a russian b&w film) and the family (Richard Eyre version).

However, I want to make up my own reading. Am i allowed to do this? Ie. Do markers have a list of "acceptable" readings?
I am a better Bshitter then recaller, so making stuff up comes natural to me.
Help appreciated

Ps. I intensely dislike the bent of this section. Its so vauge!!

Sammmmmuel

haha. I made up half my lear quotes in my essay and got 18/20! Just bullshit it! thats what i always do... i made up a freudian theory in one of the other modules to explain what i was trying to say. its worked every time!

Sammmmmuel

oh yer and do u have a Arnold Kettle Essay about King Lear? If u do then that has all the answers for the marxist view and u can just quote what he says (or make up ur own quotes from his essay!)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
nah you can make them up. it's for the country students who can't get productions or something. but make sure you sat "if i were directing.." or "in an imaginary production..." i doubt you could make up a date, director etc.

aussiechica

I like your 'just bullshit it strategy' (and trust me, I will fall back on it), but Id feel better knowing what the markers want- so yeah, if anyones got that info, please share

Sammmmmuel, Ive never heard of Arnold Kettle but it sounds GREAT and I will look it up. THANKYOU!!!!

malayz_angel

Yes you can make it up, we've seen two or three versions of Lear but our teacher even TOLD us to make it up if we couldn't remember them, as long as it all made sense. ;)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
It does work, since it's all "probable" portrayals of Lear/Lear.

Just make sure it's not a really dumb "reading" :)
And spell Gloucester right

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)