Making notes (1 Viewer)

oopseg

HSC
1. When making notes under the syllabus, do I make notes under the "Students learn about" and "Students learn to" section, or just under the "Students learn about" section?

2. When asked to summarise a paragraph or two from a textbook in Economics how do I determine what information is important and useless as I tend to copy most of the text.

Thanks.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Just students learn about. The rest are just skills.

Just try and write down the general gist of what the para's are trying to convey. It's usually in the first/last sentence with the rest of the text providing examples/analysis.

interesting

HSC
N/A
1. Do both, but concentrate more on students learn about
2. Getyour syllabus and try to find out what information you actually need to forfil that dotpoint

Jessem_09

HSC
1. When making notes under the syllabus, do I make notes under the "Students learn about" and "Students learn to" section, or just under the "Students learn about" section?
I beg to differ from the above post. Make notes from both sections. Subjects that include things such as pracs, or any part of skills will be under the 'students learn to'. It is absolutely necessary to make notes from this section as well. I'm quite down that I didn't myself; as I'm struggling to locate all my bio pracs a week out from the HSC.

2. When asked to summarise a paragraph or two from a textbook in Economics how do I determine what information is important and useless as I tend to copy most of the text.

Thanks.
Take out any definitions, and make maybe 2-3 SMALL dot-points (maximum 2 sentences) on what is being discussed. If it doesn't relate to the syllabus, it might as well not be included.

Hope I've helped. Good luck with your studies :)

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I beg to differ from the above post. Make notes from both sections. Subjects that include things such as pracs, or any part of skills will be under the 'students learn to'. It is absolutely necessary to make notes from this section as well. I'm quite down that I didn't myself; as I'm struggling to locate all my bio pracs a week out from the HSC.
Yeh i agree, my fault. What i said doesn't apply as much for sciences. But most of the 'skills' it would be more beneficial to do practice as opposed to just making/reading over notes. Most of the theory you should have in your regular notes. That's just my opinion anyway. :)

thorax94

HSC
Doing both is essential. I always get examined on at least 1 prac that I have done in class i.e physics, I was examined on the prac about Ohm's Law. Most students in my grade only studied the "Students learn about" section and lost crucial marks.
I like to read over the paragraph first so I understand what I am reading. Then when I go back, I know what information is important and what is useless. Also get a copy of people's notes from the resource section. This will also help you understand what information is relevant

findx

HSC

Thanks.
1. summarise based on 'students learn about'. try to make questions from 'students learn to'

2. Read the whole text first, then think about what is important. remember to refer to the syllabus to get the MOST important points

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)