Making my degree work! :) (1 Viewer)

SirLexicon

HSC
Well... I've successfully enrolled in the Bachelor of International and Global Studies so that's a relief. But I have a minor problem with the timetabling process at Sydney. Of course, I don't have my timetable yet - however, the arts handbook does let me know which junior units are on in each semester. My problem is that within my degree, one of the four units is taken up a Global Studies unit and one by a 'core major' subject, leaving only two free units each semester. So, four free units this year, right? Shouldn't be a problem for me to prepare two more subjects (history and philosophy) so that if I really like them I can take one as my second major next year. EXCEPT... sigh. Because of the way the history and philosophy courses are spread over the two semesters and because I desperately want to take 'Economics as a Social Science' in S1, I can't fit 'Introductory Logic' into my second semester and as such won't be able to major in Philosophy if I really enjoy it. I guess my question is: I've heard that at other universities, students can overload their timetables by taking extra units, provided they're willing to work hard in them - is there any way at all that I can take an extra unit (i.e. a fifth one) in my second semester and make it so that I have more options for my second major next year? To know I could would be a great relief :) Anyhow... thanks for reading through this extremely frustrated post.

cait33

Doctor's Companion
HSC
I was looking at this too a while back, you can take 1 philo subject and then take some more in second year because you have taken history subjects. Ie. the prerequisites for 2nd year phil is 2 1st year phil OR 1 phil and 1 hist subject. problems being this is only for certain 2nd year subjects & this may only be applicable to Ancient history. check your handbook i may be completely wrong

spence

HSC
Well... I've successfully enrolled in the Bachelor of International and Global Studies so that's a relief. But I have a minor problem with the timetabling process at Sydney. Of course, I don't have my timetable yet - however, the arts handbook does let me know which junior units are on in each semester. My problem is that within my degree, one of the four units is taken up a Global Studies unit and one by a 'core major' subject, leaving only two free units each semester. So, four free units this year, right? Shouldn't be a problem for me to prepare two more subjects (history and philosophy) so that if I really like them I can take one as my second major next year. EXCEPT... sigh. Because of the way the history and philosophy courses are spread over the two semesters and because I desperately want to take 'Economics as a Social Science' in S1, I can't fit 'Introductory Logic' into my second semester and as such won't be able to major in Philosophy if I really enjoy it. I guess my question is: I've heard that at other universities, students can overload their timetables by taking extra units, provided they're willing to work hard in them - is there any way at all that I can take an extra unit (i.e. a fifth one) in my second semester and make it so that I have more options for my second major next year? To know I could would be a great relief :) Anyhow... thanks for reading through this extremely frustrated post.
Unfortunately for the BIGS there is a limit of 48 junior credit points, so you won't be able to do any more than 8 first year subjects

Miss Winey

HSC
um... i beg to differ.
i know plenty of people who overload for all sorts of reasons.
if you can't do it online manually
then goto the arts faculty office and ask you can take extra units

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)