Making an essay into a feature article (1 Viewer)

Wohzazz

HSC
Always have trouble doing this. Anyone know how to do it properly. Usually i make the intro and conclusion sound more casual and leave the body as it is. Is there anything more i can do?

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
well, 2 start with, if ur talkn bout an exam situation (and im assumn u are), u shouldnt be makn an essay in2 a feature article - all the markers say its poor technique to go in with a pre-prepared essay which u then may have 2 struggle 2 fit the question: they reckon that u can tell when ppl have done this as they dont really answer the question properly (unless of course they were exceptionally lucky and their prepared essay is the same as the question...oh if only...*sigh*)
a feature article usually uses colloquial language, short sentences, short paragraphs, a catchy opening line, rhetorical questions, emotive language and high modality. oh, and it can be set out differently 2 - with sub headings, columns etc.

liddy

anecdotes are usually good in a feature article, too, if thats any help

toddp387

HSC
silvermoon said:
- all the markers say its poor technique to go in with a pre-prepared essay .

Of course they are going to say that, their just shitty cause there is a loop hole in the system.

I think you would be stupid not to have a prepared essay going into the HSC. You dont have to remember it word-for-word. Just probably a technique used, and example of it and its effect all tied into a few sentences. This way it doesnt matter what format your asked to write in, all you have to do is put an introductory sentence and a conclusive sentence that relates back to the question.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
wohazz - my english teachers always complained that a lot of the feature articles started off as a featured article but turned into an essay :p so don't just leave the body as it is, unless you think it's suitable for a feature article.

some people find the pre-prepared essay doesn't work for them. i did it that way, not word-for-word but i knew exactly what i was going to say in my essay, and the structure of it. if you do memorise it word for word, make sure you can manipulate it to ANSWER THE QUESTION, because that's usually the biggest problem - people answering the question the prepared for, and not the one infront of them -__-

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
same goes with speeches :p

year after year, markers say that the majority of students tack on a "Good morning..." at the beginning, then they just continue and write an essay...lol

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
toddp387 said:
Of course they are going to say that, their just shitty cause there is a loop hole in the system.

I think you would be stupid not to have a prepared essay going into the HSC. You dont have to remember it word-for-word. Just probably a technique used, and example of it and its effect all tied into a few sentences. This way it doesnt matter what format your asked to write in, all you have to do is put an introductory sentence and a conclusive sentence that relates back to the question.
no, they say that coz u can tell when ppl r just regurgitatn a preprared essay - itll never answer the question properly. it would be stupid 2 go in2 the hsc without being prepared properly - ull do beta if u do a whole heap of practice essays so u know how 2 write an answer 2 all different sorts of questions. preparing an essay and knowing the techniques of your text, the effect they have and the way they link 2 other techniques/texts is not the same thing as a prepared essay. one is a good idea, the other isnt. especially when u get a question that doesnt ask 4 an essay, but a feature article or a speech etc. ppl who have prepared their answers r showed 2 get much mroe stressed and lower marks when this happens coz their answer doesnt fit the text type properly - it IS obvious when ppl r just tryn 2 manipulate a prepared answer 2 fit in with sumthin else.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
toddp387 said:

I would consider that notes rather than a prepared essay. IMO, a prepared essay has to be entirely memorised and have a thesis. Those are the two key dangers of the prepared essay. You forget something and your argument goes out of whack. OR your argument [thesis] doesnt fit the question and you end up with the wrong argument.

As bubz said, some people like the prepared essay style of studying, others [like me, except I have to say I learnt it the hard way :(] would prefer simple point form ideas and techniques.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
Sarah168 said:
I would consider that notes rather than a prepared essay. IMO, a prepared essay has to be entirely memorised and have a thesis. Those are the two key dangers of the prepared essay. You forget something and your argument goes out of whack. OR your argument [thesis] doesnt fit the question and you end up with the wrong argument.

As bubz said, some people like the prepared essay style of studying, others [like me, except I have to say I learnt it the hard way :(] would prefer simple point form ideas and techniques.
note: this is what i was TRYING to say...sarah just happens to be ever so slightly (ok, a lot) more eloquent than me under pressure.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
remember short sentences in feature article
none of those long complicated sophisitcated sentences crap u use in an essay

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Feature articles create a repartee with the audience - essays don't have to do this (and c'mon, most HSC students writing essays aren't even THINKING about their audience).

Rather than throwing in techniques all over the place, sit back for a minute or two and think about who is the defined audience of your task. Not just markers - is it a women's magazine, teenagers sitting the HSC, experts in a field? Then write with that person in mind. THEN you can go about inserting techniques - if it's a bunch of teenagers, a joke about Britney; if it's women, a joke about PMS (or something). It indicates to the marker that you are aware of your audience, and you are writing with context in mind.

Also, you can use essay-like structures (ie long sentences) in your feature article, but limit them and make sure they're understandable for your audience.

JessTW

HSC
here u go

Making an essay into a feature article

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Always have trouble doing this. Anyone know how to do it properly. Usually i make the intro and conclusion sound more casual and leave the body as it is. Is there anything more i can do?

ok well our teacher said you need a catchy title, a by line (which instead of just writing title and then by "Jon smith" you sorta giva a mini intro and end it by saying something like "as Jon Smith discovers"etc) then u gotta get a quote that uve written and put it out in bold(u no wat im talking bout rite? they hve it in all magazines newspapers etc) and she said if possible have some graphics/pics, like u dont have to draw a pic (altough i will be) u can just draw a box saying pic and describe wats in it. hope this helps

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
JessTW said:
Making an essay into a feature article

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok well our teacher said you need a catchy title, a by line (which instead of just writing title and then by "Jon smith" you sorta giva a mini intro and end it by saying something like "as Jon Smith discovers"etc) then u gotta get a quote that uve written and put it out in bold(u no wat im talking bout rite? they hve it in all magazines newspapers etc) and she said if possible have some graphics/pics, like u dont have to draw a pic (altough i will be) u can just draw a box saying pic and describe wats in it. hope this helps
I think they're talking about exam conditions.. which I really wouldn't bother writing a heading, etc.

luckly, I havn't come across any exams that asks me to do that.. apart from the creative part in AOS, which you can just make up..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)