Majors/sub-majors help! (1 Viewer)

kagura

HSC
Hey,

I'm going to be undertaking the BBC (accounting) this year, and I'm kind of in a dilemma; the way the accounting key program is set out, the only real possible field I can major in is finance (since it has the same subjects as the core units), but I'm not entirely sure if this is for me. I originally wanted to major in something like economics, but the degree does not provide enough 'electives'. So, it's either a major in finance, or two sub-majors in finance and economics.

I'll probably go with finance, since that seems more 'appropriate', but it's just that I have no idea how interesting it will be. I wanted to do eco as a sub-major because that will at least give me some interesting units that I'd like. So yeah, which do you guys think is better? A major in finance or two sub-majors in economics and finance?

Thanks. ^^

Last edited:

John0

HSC
Do the sub majors so u have knowledge in both areas imo. Did u consider doing a key program in eco and finance instead of accounting?

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
Do what you think will most likely benefit your future job prospects.

But personally, I think employers value majors much more than sub-majors. Reason being you have to do more subjects for a major, hence you know more about that area of interest. It also looks a lot more impressive on your transcript, than submajors.

But then again, don't do electives that you're not interested in, and that will compromise your grades.

beefnoodle

HSC
I got an offer from UWS-Blacktown
Bachelor of Business//commerce-accounting

what i really wanted was Applied Finance

is it possible for me to transfer from Accounting to finance and still graduate in 3 yrs?

John0

HSC
First year of Business and Commerce courses are essentially identical for all key programs. Only exeption is that you do either economic methods or business stats, and you choose an elective relevant to your key program. to grad from business and commerce for any key program u need 240 credit points(80 per year for fulltime), so it would take 3 yrs provided you dont fail anything

Accounting
Year 1
Autumn session
200083.1 Marketing Principles 200101.2 Accounting Information for Managers 200336.1 Business Academic Skills 200525.1 Principles of Economics
Spring session
200184.2 Introduction to Business Law 200111.1 Financial Accounting Applications 200571.1 Management Dynamics
Choose one of:
200032.2 Statistics for Business 200052.3 Introduction to Economic Methods

Applied Finance
Year 1
Autumn session
200184.2 Introduction to Business Law 200336.1 Business Academic Skills 200525.1 Principles of Economics
Choose one of:
200052.3 Introduction to Economic Methods 200032.2 Statistics for Business
Spring session
200083.1 Marketing Principles 200101.1 Accounting Information for Managers 200571.1 Management Dynamics 200549.1 The Australian Macroeconomy

Are you sure you even need to transfer? I can change my key program right now on platform web if i wanted to, and uws didnt even make us choose a key program until we finished 2nd semester.

beefnoodle

HSC
Are you sure you even need to transfer? I can change my key program right now on platform web if i wanted to, and uws didnt even make us choose a key program until we finished 2nd semester.
BBC at Blacktown only offers Accounting
If I want to do Finance, I have to transfer to Paramatta in Semester 2.
Pls correct me if im wrong.

John0

HSC
Oh, I just assumed that blacktown offered the majority of the key programs.What i said would be correct if you attended a campus like parramatta where they do offer basically every key program. Transfering campus' shouldnt be that difficult it may be even possible to do it before semester one starts. You would need to talk to someone from the uni administration or the head of program for the course to find out the procedure. You would use this form to complete the transfer though http://pubsites.uws.edu.au/student/forms/OAR00069_0908_Transfer_Application _WEB.pdf

Why didnt you just have parramatta as your first preference and save yourself the trouble lol? If all else fails and you cant transfer until sem 2 you wont be at a disadvantage since sem 1 units are done regardless of what key program you do.

beefnoodle

HSC
Why didnt you just have parramatta as your first preference and save yourself the trouble lol? If all else fails and you cant transfer until sem 2 you wont be at a disadvantage since sem 1 units are done regardless of what key program you do.
UWs offered me a course at Blacktown.........................

beefnoodle

HSC
dont worry, look like i will be transferred automatically to Parramatta

* Blacktown campus will be closing in mid-2009. If your area of study is based on this campus, continue your enrolment. Once the campus closes, you will be transferred to the Parramatta campus. (If your key program is on Campbelltown you may elect to transfer there at the time).

source: Universities Admissions Centre (NSW & ACT) University of Western Sydney

source: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21932687-5001021,00.html

THE University of Western Sydney will close its Blacktown campus because student enrolments have plummeted and it is no longer viable.

About 2700 students in mainly business courses at Blacktown will be forced to transfer to UWS's more popular Penrith and Parramatta campuses from 2009.

Vice Chancellor Janice-Reid said yesterday students and staff at the Blacktown campus would be told about the changes "over the coming weeks and months".

Professor Reid said: "While most UWS campuses are earmarked for growth the Blacktown campus has had a steady fall in student enrolments including a 21 per cent drop in preferences over the last two years.

"With just 2705 enrolments the Blacktown campus makes up less than 8 per cent of the University's total 35,000 students.

"It's primarily a single-discipline campus, offering business courses which are taught at other campuses."

Prof Reid said UWS would co-locate a small number of construction subjects with the School of Engineering at the Penrith campus, while the business courses would be transferred to Parramatta where there was "strong student demand".

UWS said the move was part of its long-term vision to invest $100 million over the next decade in teaching and learning programs and research centres. No job cuts are expected.

It follows an extensive review analysing course offerings across UWS's six campuses, student numbers and enrolment trends.

Prof Reid said the university was building a $24.7 million new teaching building in Parramatta to accommodate the extra students.

"The best educational outcome for our students in the long term is to be co-located on larger campuses with students from different discipline areas," she said.

"This will . . . give them access to the best resources, research opportunities, student facilities, and support services."

UWS will maintain a presence in Blacktown through its planned second clinical school at Blacktown Hospital as part of the university's new School of Medicine. The university will also maintain residential facilities on the Blacktown campus.

Educational partners in the Nirimba Education Precinct including a TAFE College and two high schools have been briefed on the changes will hold further talks on the future uses of UWS facilities.

UWS is one of the biggest universities in Australia, with 35,000 students and 3000 staff.

Last edited:

Blitz98

HSC
Whats the difference between key programs, sub majors and majors?

BabyK

HSC
Hey,

I'm going to be undertaking the BBC (accounting) this year, and I'm kind of in a dilemma; the way the accounting key program is set out, the only real possible field I can major in is finance (since it has the same subjects as the core units), but I'm not entirely sure if this is for me. I originally wanted to major in something like economics, but the degree does not provide enough 'electives'. So, it's either a major in finance, or two sub-majors in finance and economics.

I'll probably go with finance, since that seems more 'appropriate', but it's just that I have no idea how interesting it will be. I wanted to do eco as a sub-major because that will at least give me some interesting units that I'd like. So yeah, which do you guys think is better? A major in finance or two sub-majors in economics and finance?

Thanks. ^^
Seriously do Finance as a major. The two fields are quite interlinked and after this crisis passes by the time you graduate in approximately 2/3 years you''ll realise that finance jobs have very nice salaries, after two years of experience, whilst in accounting you will no doubt have a high salary if you find a good job as e.g. a head accountant but otherwise you may be stuck in a shitty little accounting firm earning 40K for the rest of you life. Finance is a good option to have. I am doing the opposite of you, a finance key program with an accounting major ( as a back up) and that is the best advice I can give you. An economics major won't offer you many options either. If you enjoy maths you may want to consider Financial MAthematics as a major as that will give you a boost in your industry.

beefnoodle

HSC
What if you want to do Applied Finance (KP) and majoring Finance and Economics.
Can you do more than 24 units?

John0

HSC
Economics and Finance isnt available as a major only as a key program, you can do one or the other as a major however. For example you could have Applied Finance as your key program and economics as your major.

beefnoodle

HSC
Economics and Finance isnt available as a major only as a key program, you can do one or the other as a major however. For example you could have Applied Finance as your key program and economics as your major.
Sorry for the confusion.
What i meant to say was:
"is it possible for you to do a KP in Applied Finance, a major in Accounting and a major in Economics?"
It should take more than 24 units, can you do more than 24 units?

John0

HSC
You can do more then 24 units however you would need to do a combination of summer school and doing more then 4 units per semester to acheive this. Otherwise i dont see any reason why u cant do that key program with 2 majors. It might be alot easier if you done economics and finance as a key program and accounting as a major, pretty sure that would reduce the amount of units you would end up doing.

beefnoodle

HSC
You can do more then 24 units however you would need to do a combination of summer school and doing more then 4 units per semester to acheive this. Otherwise i dont see any reason why u cant do that key program with 2 majors. It might be alot easier if you done economics and finance as a key program and accounting as a major, pretty sure that would reduce the amount of units you would end up doing.
I thought you only allowed to do 4 units per semester.
But thanks anyway, i'll think over it. :drink:

Lara1986

HSC
I thought you only allowed to do 4 units per semester.
But thanks anyway, i'll think over it. :drink:

You can do more than 4 units semester but you need permission from the Head of School i think? to do so.

Overloading generally isn't recommended - if you think of the units as 10hours worth of work each, as most say they are in the unit outlines, if you do 5 you have 50 hours total, i.e. more than the average full time working week. Add to that part time work, having a life etc, it can be very very hard to manage.

beefnoodle

HSC
You can do more than 4 units semester but you need permission from the Head of School i think? to do so.

Overloading generally isn't recommended - if you think of the units as 10hours worth of work each, as most say they are in the unit outlines, if you do 5 you have 50 hours total, i.e. more than the average full time working week. Add to that part time work, having a life etc, it can be very very hard to manage.
i don't mind staying another semester

John0

HSC
yep, you do need permission from your head of school to do more then 4 units per semester, as lara said its generally not recommended and i do agree. Even if you did the bare minimum of work required you would have alot of difficulty managing work committments and a social life. You would probably see a reduction in your overall marks compared to doing 4 units, it would simply be unmanagable doing 5 units.

I did summer school this year for taxation law, i did pass it but it wasnt exactly easy. Alot of the content during summer school is covered alot quicker(2 lectures and 2 tutorials per week) compared to doing it during the semester. If your still planning on doing more then 24 units summer school would be you best option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)