majors in commerce (1 Viewer)

maomaobrowncow

HSC
i am intending to do b commerce at syd but i do not wish to do accounting/finance or anything that requires sufficient maths, what is the best major to do? and also, does commerce get boring?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Business Information Systems
Commercial Law
Industrial Relations and Human Resources
International Business
Management
Marketing

Take your pick.

mymuse

HSC
are there certain majors that are more popular?

and is there any basis to the fact that i keep hearing there are too many people doing commerce, and its difficult to find a job once you graduate?

cakes

hi
HSC
Do Marketing! It doesn't get boring :)
It's very interesting and fun to study yet intellectual, good career prospects, enjoyable to work in, good money. There are also many different career options within marketing :)

Finance and accounting majors are really popular because people think it's easy to get a job (not sure that is the case at the moment in this economy) and eventually you will get really good money even if you start out getting paid next to nothing.

I think finance and accounting are pretty boring though... but that's just me

icecoffee

HSC
I'm planning to do commerce (liberal studies) with a marketing major. I'm interested in a career in advertising but apparently the career prospects aren't too great?

Also, is there alot of maths involved in accounting?

MasterYoda

HSC
apparently you only add and subtract and rarely multiply or divide (mini lecture from usyd).

Charizard

HSC
icecoffee said:
I'm planning to do commerce (liberal studies) with a marketing major. I'm interested in a career in advertising but apparently the career prospects aren't too great?

Also, is there alot of maths involved in accounting?
it's not hard mathematically, there isn't a lot of calucations, it's difficulty comes from knowing where the numbers go and such, how one number effects another and so on.

Being able to get 100 in 4 unit maths wont really help in accounting

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The only hard thing about Accounting is getting the fundamental concepts in the first place. Once you get them, it becomes very easy.

That being said, Accounting = *yawn*

endingstory

HSC
what kind of occupations can you get, after doing an international business major?
it seems rather vague to me compared to the other commerce majors.
accounting - accountant
marketing - marketer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)